1. Los Angeles Galaxy (8-2-5, 29 points) Previous 2: Los Angeles has rattled off four straight victories, although none of the four came against teams in the top 10 of this list. The Galaxy made the most of a busy early schedule, building a large point lead over other teams such as Salt Lake and Colorado, which will have a hard time catching up. Next up: D.C. United, Friday.
2. FC Dallas (6-3-4, 22 points) Previous 3: The three teams dealing with major injuries — Seattle, Dallas and Salt Lake — all played each other in the past two weeks. Dallas escaped with the best record, winning and drawing once. Seattle came second with a win and a loss, and Real performed the worst with only a draw and a loss. Next up: New England, Saturday.
3. Philadelphia Union (6-3-2, 20 points) Previous 4: The Philadelphia team that showed up in Toronto on Saturday was the exact opposite of what Union fans typically see. Instead of staunch defense and paltry offense, the Union was magnificent on offense and so-so on defense. The offense looked much more smooth and fluid without Carlos Ruiz on the pitch, but giving up two relatively easy goals to a weak Toronto side is concerning. Next up: Colorado, Saturday.
4. Seattle Sounders (5-4-5, 20 points) Previous 7: The Sounders may have four losses — the latest coming at home against Dallas — yet Seattle is playing well despite the lack of production from Fredy Montero. Montero is second in the league in shot attempts with 40 but has only two goals scored to show for it. Next up: Chicago, Saturday.
5. Real Salt Lake (5-2-2, 17 points) Previous 1: Real snapped two streaks Saturday against Seattle. Salt Lake finally scored a goal after two straight 0-0 ties, however Rio Tinto's undefeated streak also came to a crashing halt. Still there are two bright spots for Salt Lake. First, Real's next game at home is against lowly Vancouver, so the streak can begin anew. Second, youngsters Luis Gil and Nelson Gonzalez played well together, connecting for Real's lone goal. Next up: Vancouver, Saturday.
6. New York Red Bulls (4-2-6, 18 points) Previous 6: After a great start to the season New York is slipping. The Red Bulls have not won in five games. The picture isn't completely dark as only one game resulted in a loss, although a tie against Vancouver feels like a loss for Bulls fans. Next up: Columbus, Saturday.
7. Portland Timbers (5-4-2, 17 points) Previous 5: The second fortress to fall over the weekend was JELD-WEN field. The Timbers gave up three hard-earned goals to a rarely motivated DC United club. The strangest moment of the week came as Portland received three attempts to convert a penalty kick after United players twice encroached the penalty area too early. Next up: Chivas, Saturday.
8. San Jose (3-4-4, 13 points) Previous 10: Despite sitting second to last in the Western Conference standings, San Jose isn't playing like a second to last team. The Quakes are undefeated in the last four games. Next up: Houston, Saturday.
9. Colorado Rapids (4-3-6, 18 points) Previous 9: Colorado can't find its full form. The defending champs consistently seem on the verge of breaking through and putting a series of wins together only to find injuries, suspensions and poor team chemistry. Saturday's tie against lowly Kansas City was a prime example. Next up: Philadelphia, Saturday.
10. D.C. United (4-4-3, 15 points) Previous 12: At the start of the season, few would have pegged D.C. United as the first team to obtain a victory in Portland. But even without Charlie Davies and Dax McCarty, D.C. United was able to find the back of the net three times. Next up: Los Angeles, Friday.
11. Houston Dynamo (3-4-6, 15 points) Previous 8: Brad Davis leads the league with eight assists. Only one has come on the road. This discrepancy may explain why Houston has a record of 0-2-4 away from Robertson Stadium. Next up: San Jose, Saturday.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30