3. Make sure your photo is current. No matter how great your virtual connection is, if your appearance deviates wildly from your photo, you will come off as dishonest in your first in-person meeting.
4. Fill out the questionnaire on each dating site completely and honestly. It helps potential suitors get a good grasp of your personality and sparks more interest.
5. Take your time to establish a connection, but not too much time. You don't have to meet right after the first email exchange, but dragging out the face-to-face meeting can lead to disappointment if you lack the same chemistry as your email exchanges.
6. Always meet for the first time in a public place, and make sure that a close friend or family member knows where you are. Set a check-in time with someone you trust to let them know that you're fine and where you'll be for the rest of the date, too.
7. Be honest. Evaluate why you're looking for a date. Is it for fun? Is it for companionship? Is it for commitment? Once you know what you're looking for and you're up front about that goal with your potential matches, you dramatically improve your chances of finding who and what you're looking for in return.
It took me three years and my fair share of jaw-dropping “Did that really happen?” stories, but what started with the click of a mouse ended up in a temple sealing and a true happily-ever-after for our growing family.
Melanie Jacobson is an author and blogs at readandwritestuff.blogspot.com. Her latest book, "The List," is available at Deseret Book and Seagull Book.
- Temple Square hosts New Year's EVE events
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to release...
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas carols in...
- What's new: 'Jesus the Christ Study Guide'...
- Wright Words: My friend David is Christian,...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Getting ready to study...
- Reader voices: Choosing my reflection
- 'Unbroken' billed as faith-based film, but...
- Religious freedom and economic growth... 20
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to... 16
- This is what going to church does to you 12
- Wright Words: My friend David is... 9
- How churches can attract younger people 6
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas... 5
- Defending the Faith: He was the son of... 4
- 'Unbroken' billed as faith-based film,... 2