SALT LAKE CITY — In the world of high technology, Larry Ellison is not as famous as Steve Jobs, longtime CEO of Apple Computers, or Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft.
Still, the co-founder and CEO of Oracle Corp., is known as a heavy-hitter.
But five months from now, on Nov. 4, Jobs and Gates won’t be coming to Salt Lake City to headline the Utah Technology Council's Hall of Fame Gala. Ellison will.
UTC recently announced nabbing Ellison for its annual black-tie event that honors Utahns who’ve made significant contributions to information technology, life science or “clean-tech” industries, according to its press release.
“Again, the UTC Hall of Fame will be the premiere technology event in Utah, if not in the entire Western region," said council CEO Richard Nelson.
“Each year, I wonder how it could be possible to match the previous year’s celebration, and our senior senator, Orrin Hatch, achieved the gold standard with the addition of Larry Ellison as the keynote,” Nelson said.
Besides founding Oracle in 1977 and serving as its only CEO, Ellison races sailboats, flies, planes, and plays tennis and guitar. Oracle is perhaps best known for Oracle Database, its software program. In 2008, The Associated Press ranked Ellison the world’s top-paid CEO.
Past keynoters have included Steve Ballmer of Microsoft and Eric Schmidt of Google.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Summit County Sheriff's Office solves...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 286
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 108
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 53
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45