Red roundup: Pac-12 media deal likely to net Utes more than expected
It's been said that the only thing better than a whole lot of money is a whole lot more money. That may be the case when it comes to membership in the Pac-12. Earlier this week, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott noted that the league's in-house media venture could net the conference an additional $1 billion in revenue over time. CBSSports.com's Dennis Dodd reports that schools like Utah could earn an additional $8.3-$11.9 million per year from Pac-12 Media Enterprises. That would be on top of the $21 million per year average the new broadcast deal with ESPN and Fox will produce for each member.
— Scott discussed the possibility of moving league games to Sundays or Mondays if the NFL lockout continues into the season. He also told ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd that the Pac-12 will continue to think outside the box when it comes to playing games on days other than Saturday. Utah's schedule is discussed at the end of the podcast.
— A Louisville columnist ranks Utah's Larry Krystkowiak as the second best hire of the 51 new college basketball hirings in the nation.
— Pro Football Weekly is reporting that the Jacksonville Jaguars may be targeting ex-Ute Eric Weddle in free agency when the NFL lockout is lifted.
— And finally, former Utah coach Rick Majerus is involved in a coaching swap at St. Louis.
The Red Roundup is a sampling of Utah Utes news on the Web. It is compiled each weekday.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 56
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 45
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42