Red roundup: Pac-12 media deal likely to net Utes more than expected
It's been said that the only thing better than a whole lot of money is a whole lot more money. That may be the case when it comes to membership in the Pac-12. Earlier this week, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott noted that the league's in-house media venture could net the conference an additional $1 billion in revenue over time. CBSSports.com's Dennis Dodd reports that schools like Utah could earn an additional $8.3-$11.9 million per year from Pac-12 Media Enterprises. That would be on top of the $21 million per year average the new broadcast deal with ESPN and Fox will produce for each member.
— Scott discussed the possibility of moving league games to Sundays or Mondays if the NFL lockout continues into the season. He also told ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd that the Pac-12 will continue to think outside the box when it comes to playing games on days other than Saturday. Utah's schedule is discussed at the end of the podcast.
— A Louisville columnist ranks Utah's Larry Krystkowiak as the second best hire of the 51 new college basketball hirings in the nation.
— Pro Football Weekly is reporting that the Jacksonville Jaguars may be targeting ex-Ute Eric Weddle in free agency when the NFL lockout is lifted.
— And finally, former Utah coach Rick Majerus is involved in a coaching swap at St. Louis.
The Red Roundup is a sampling of Utah Utes news on the Web. It is compiled each weekday.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28