Utah Utes football: Alta's Austin Lee commits to Utes
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
SANDY — Alta High defensive back Austin Lee confirmed earlier today that he committed to sign a letter of intent with the University of Utah on Tuesday night.
Lee, a 6-foot, 185-pounder, was also receiving a lot of early attention from such schools as BYU, Utah State, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State and Oregon State.
"Utah offered me Tuesday afternoon, and I committed to them that very night," said Lee. "I had a feeling that the offer was coming, and when it did, Utah was really the only school I wanted to go to, so I committed.
"Utah had been really recruiting me hard over the past month. I spent a lot of time up there, learning about their program, and I love everything about their program. It was an easy decision for me to commit."
Lee was a first-team all-state selection last season, recording 101 tackles, two sacks, one interception, two forced fumbles and 14 pass breakups. He is rated as a 3-star athlete by scout.com, and was recently named as one of the top 21 overall performers of the Badger elite 7-on-7 tournament held in Las Vegas.
"The biggest thing I like about Utah are their coaches," Lee said. "Coach Jay Hill was my primary recruiter, and I really built a good relationship with him. I also got to know coaches (Morgan) Scalley and (Kalani) Sitake, and I absolutely love them and can't wait to play for them.
"I haven't had the opportunity to meet with Coach Whittingham yet, but I will be meeting with him very soon. I've seen how he runs practices, and I love how he goes about his business. He's a great coach."
Lee had been courted heavily by BYU and by Stanford, with both schools looking close at offering him a scholarship before he committed to Utah.
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- BYU men's volleyball: Underwood and others...
- The BYU international basketball tracker: How...
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for Utah
- Morning links: Which local prospects could...
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 86
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 17
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 15
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12