Killebrew was 70 years old at the time. Among many topics, he discussed comic books, his high school years and the biggest influences in his life. He said he liked Clint Eastwood movies. His favorite book was “The Silence of Hitting,” by Ted Williams. He disliked rap music. At the end of the interview, he told the reporter he wants his epitaph to read: "Here lies Harmon Killebrew, who was a good friend and tried to help others."
Steve Rushin, a columnist for Sports Illustrated, wrote that Killebrew’s drink of choice was root beer.
Joe Posnanski wrote that Killebrew’s nickname “Killer” fit Killebrew the way “Jazz” fits Utah.
Many have reported that Killebrew was the model for MLB’s iconic silhouetted batter logo. ESPN.com’s Paul Lukas is reporting that is not the case.
Jim Ison’s 1991 book, “Mormons in the Major Leagues,” reports that Killebrew was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1966, just past the midway point of his baseball career.
“His demeanor and quiet positivism were widely recognized and created a good image of the church in baseball upon which future players would build,” Ison wrote.
Ison also cited a quote from Bob Fowler, who covered the Twins for many years and who wrote for the Sporting News, regarding Killebrew. Fowler said Killebrew was “A game winner. A leader. An inspiration. Respected. A public relations man. A franchise. Harmon Killebrew has meant all of that to Minnesota.”
Brian Murphy of the Pioneer Press in Minnesota wrote a lengthy piece that mentioned Killebrew’s Mormon faith. The article says Killebrew was a devout Mormon who never smoked or drank. He was described as an all-American boy, the kind you’d love to have in your family.
He was teased by teammates for his humility. Smoking a pipe outside the clubhouse in 1963, Jim Lemon told a Sports Illustrated writer that Killebrew’s only vice was an insatiable appetite for ice cream.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24