Committee gathered to begin search for new University of Utah president
SALT LAKE CITY — A 20-member team has been gathered to perform the search for the University of Utah's next president.
The search committee, which consists of members of the state Board of Regents, the U.'s Board of Trustees, faculty and the community, will meet regularly and host other meetings to gather input, while assisting the Regents in conducting a national search. After investigating and interviewing candidates, the committee plans to recommend finalists to the Regents, who will release the names of the finalists and make a selection.
"Each member of the committee has a significant connection to the University of Utah, represent a key constituent group and have dedicated themselves to service for the institution," said Regents chairman David Jordan.
The search could take up to a year to complete, but Jordan said work will begin immediately.
Effective last week, Dr. Lorris Betz, the U.'s senior vice president for health sciences, executive dean of the School of Medicine and CEO of University of Utah Health Care, is serving as president in the interim. Betz served as interim president in 2003, prior to the selection of current President Michael K. Young.
Young accepted a job as president of the University of Washington and left the U. at the end of April.
Members of the new search committee include:
Regent Nolan Karras
Regent Bonnie Jean Beesley
Regent Katharine Garff
Regent France Davis
U. Trustee Chairman (to be elected at June meeting)
Trustee Lisa Eccles
Trustee Neela Pack, U. student body presdent
Trustee Keven Rowe, U. Alumni Association president
Barbara Snyder, vice president for U. Student Affairs
Richard Sperry, associate vice president for U. Health Sciences
Octavio Villalpandao, associate vice president for equity and diversity in U. Academic Affairs
Pat Hanna, U. faculty senate president
David Rudd, dean of the U. College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Chris Ireland, dean of the U. College of Pharmacy
Maureen Keefe, dean of the U. College of Nursing
Marcia Cook, U. staff council president
Dinesh Patel, chairman of USTAR governing authority
Betsy Dumke Thornton, chairwoman-elect of the National Advisory Council
Karen H. Huntsman, former Regent
James L. Sorenson, U. School of Business National Advisory Board
Public meeting dates and locations will be announced as soon as the committee makes them available. Aside from the public hearings, the search will be confidential until finalists are announced. For more information on the Utah System of Higher Education, visit www.higheredutah.org.
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- Springville parents murdered 2, possibly 3...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 88
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 33
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 25
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 19