BYU football: Bingham recruit Tausinga to add strength to the Cougar defensive line
Kesni Tausinga, a 6-1, 275-pound lineman from Bingham High School who will join the defensive front while at BYU, is likely to add his talents to the nose tackle position, where run-stuffing is at a premium.
“I’m a run-stuffer,” said Tausinga. “My favorite thing is when the O-line is trying to push you back and you have to fight them off to make a play.”
Tuasinga has excelled on pushing people his way not only on the gridiron, but on the wrestling mat. He’s a two-time state champion wrestler and placed 5th nationally this past year in the heavyweight division.
A lot of the best defensive tackles in football were also champion wrestlers in high school, which bodes well for the two-time state-champion. He was named as a consensus first-team all-state performer in football for his senior season.
Tausinga played a dominant starting defensive tackle for Bingham as a junior, but made the switch to offensive line this past year. He still saw some work on defense, but made the switch to more work on the offensive side, because that’s what his team needed from him most.
“That’s just the type of player Kesni is,” said Bingham Coach Dave Peck. “He’ll do anything for the team, and in that way, he was a great leader for us. He’s as good as any defensive tackle that started for us last year, but because we needed him more at offensive line, he just made the switch, with no complaints.”
Before joining BYU's defensive line, he plans to go on an LDS mission this fall, and enroll at BYU for the first time following his two-year service. This should work well for him, as BYU looks to be very deep at nose tackle this coming season.
Upon his return, BYU will be receiving not only an outstanding and powerful defensive lineman, but also a cerebral one, that leads by example.
“Kesni is very smart players with good instincts,” said Peck. “Players look up to him as he’s someone who leads by example, which is the best way to lead.”
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 143
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 65
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 42
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 35
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25