BYU football: Bingham recruit Tausinga to add strength to the Cougar defensive line
Kesni Tausinga, a 6-1, 275-pound lineman from Bingham High School who will join the defensive front while at BYU, is likely to add his talents to the nose tackle position, where run-stuffing is at a premium.
“I’m a run-stuffer,” said Tausinga. “My favorite thing is when the O-line is trying to push you back and you have to fight them off to make a play.”
Tuasinga has excelled on pushing people his way not only on the gridiron, but on the wrestling mat. He’s a two-time state champion wrestler and placed 5th nationally this past year in the heavyweight division.
A lot of the best defensive tackles in football were also champion wrestlers in high school, which bodes well for the two-time state-champion. He was named as a consensus first-team all-state performer in football for his senior season.
Tausinga played a dominant starting defensive tackle for Bingham as a junior, but made the switch to offensive line this past year. He still saw some work on defense, but made the switch to more work on the offensive side, because that’s what his team needed from him most.
“That’s just the type of player Kesni is,” said Bingham Coach Dave Peck. “He’ll do anything for the team, and in that way, he was a great leader for us. He’s as good as any defensive tackle that started for us last year, but because we needed him more at offensive line, he just made the switch, with no complaints.”
Before joining BYU's defensive line, he plans to go on an LDS mission this fall, and enroll at BYU for the first time following his two-year service. This should work well for him, as BYU looks to be very deep at nose tackle this coming season.
Upon his return, BYU will be receiving not only an outstanding and powerful defensive lineman, but also a cerebral one, that leads by example.
“Kesni is very smart players with good instincts,” said Peck. “Players look up to him as he’s someone who leads by example, which is the best way to lead.”
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- 2016 NFL draft: Southern Utah's Miles...
- Hollis: Past Jazz players vs. the current...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 93
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 20
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 13