Mayor Corroon to lead noxious weed pull Saturday morning; volunteers encouraged to take part
SALT LAKE CITY — Add weed pulling to the job description of Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon. Ditto for Deputy Mayor Nichole Dunn.
The pair will lead volunteers in a weed pull called "Purge Your Spurge," an effort to eliminate myrtle spurge, a noxious, invasive weed from Salt Lake County's Grandeur Peak open space. The weed pull will be conducted from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. Volunteers should meet at the Grandeur Peak trailhead at approximately 3000 S. Wasatch Boulevard.
Myrtle spurge is an escaped ornamental plant that is rapidly invading the foothills and wild lands along the Wasatch Front. Salt Lake County has designated it as a noxious weed, which means its sale is restricted within the county.
Julie Peck-Dabling, the county's open space program manager, said myrtle spurge chokes out native plants "needed to sustain a healthy ecosystem."
Volunteers will receive vouchers for the weeds they pull. The vouchers can be exchanged at the REI at 3285 E. 3300 South for free native Utah plants at the outdoor retailer's native plant sale from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.
Myrtle spurge contains a sap that is harmful to the skin and eyes. Volunteers should wear protective eyewear and clothing, including gloves and long sleeves.
The weed pull will help "keep the Bonneville Shore Trail healthy and viable for future generations," Peck-Dabling said.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 70
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 56
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 40
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 39
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 19
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 14
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell... 11