Mayor Corroon to lead noxious weed pull Saturday morning; volunteers encouraged to take part
SALT LAKE CITY — Add weed pulling to the job description of Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon. Ditto for Deputy Mayor Nichole Dunn.
The pair will lead volunteers in a weed pull called "Purge Your Spurge," an effort to eliminate myrtle spurge, a noxious, invasive weed from Salt Lake County's Grandeur Peak open space. The weed pull will be conducted from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. Volunteers should meet at the Grandeur Peak trailhead at approximately 3000 S. Wasatch Boulevard.
Myrtle spurge is an escaped ornamental plant that is rapidly invading the foothills and wild lands along the Wasatch Front. Salt Lake County has designated it as a noxious weed, which means its sale is restricted within the county.
Julie Peck-Dabling, the county's open space program manager, said myrtle spurge chokes out native plants "needed to sustain a healthy ecosystem."
Volunteers will receive vouchers for the weeds they pull. The vouchers can be exchanged at the REI at 3285 E. 3300 South for free native Utah plants at the outdoor retailer's native plant sale from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.
Myrtle spurge contains a sap that is harmful to the skin and eyes. Volunteers should wear protective eyewear and clothing, including gloves and long sleeves.
The weed pull will help "keep the Bonneville Shore Trail healthy and viable for future generations," Peck-Dabling said.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8