Fresh off its first Mountain West Conference tournament championship in a decade, the BYU men's tennis team is competing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Friday.
The No. 35 Cougars (21-5 overall) face No. 31 San Diego at noon (MT) in Los Angeles.
The winner of that match will take on the winner of No. 2 USC and Sacramento State on Saturday.
The BYU-San Diego match is a showdown between two programs that will be members of the same league next season, as the Cougars are set to join the West Coast Conference.
BYU will also be looking to avenge a 6-1 loss to the Toreros (18-6) in February.
Leading the Cougars are Patrick Kawka, who was named MWC freshman of the year, owns a 31-9 singles record and is ranked No. 112 in the nation; and junior Georgy Batrakov, who has posted a 22-3 single record, including a 17-match winning streak, and a 14-3 doubles record with Thomas Shubert.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37