Fresh off its first Mountain West Conference tournament championship in a decade, the BYU men's tennis team is competing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Friday.
The No. 35 Cougars (21-5 overall) face No. 31 San Diego at noon (MT) in Los Angeles.
The winner of that match will take on the winner of No. 2 USC and Sacramento State on Saturday.
The BYU-San Diego match is a showdown between two programs that will be members of the same league next season, as the Cougars are set to join the West Coast Conference.
BYU will also be looking to avenge a 6-1 loss to the Toreros (18-6) in February.
Leading the Cougars are Patrick Kawka, who was named MWC freshman of the year, owns a 31-9 singles record and is ranked No. 112 in the nation; and junior Georgy Batrakov, who has posted a 22-3 single record, including a 17-match winning streak, and a 14-3 doubles record with Thomas Shubert.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 124
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 80
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 58
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33