Fresh off its first Mountain West Conference tournament championship in a decade, the BYU men's tennis team is competing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Friday.
The No. 35 Cougars (21-5 overall) face No. 31 San Diego at noon (MT) in Los Angeles.
The winner of that match will take on the winner of No. 2 USC and Sacramento State on Saturday.
The BYU-San Diego match is a showdown between two programs that will be members of the same league next season, as the Cougars are set to join the West Coast Conference.
BYU will also be looking to avenge a 6-1 loss to the Toreros (18-6) in February.
Leading the Cougars are Patrick Kawka, who was named MWC freshman of the year, owns a 31-9 singles record and is ranked No. 112 in the nation; and junior Georgy Batrakov, who has posted a 22-3 single record, including a 17-match winning streak, and a 14-3 doubles record with Thomas Shubert.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 46
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 43
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 39
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6