Fresh off its first Mountain West Conference tournament championship in a decade, the BYU men's tennis team is competing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Friday.
The No. 35 Cougars (21-5 overall) face No. 31 San Diego at noon (MT) in Los Angeles.
The winner of that match will take on the winner of No. 2 USC and Sacramento State on Saturday.
The BYU-San Diego match is a showdown between two programs that will be members of the same league next season, as the Cougars are set to join the West Coast Conference.
BYU will also be looking to avenge a 6-1 loss to the Toreros (18-6) in February.
Leading the Cougars are Patrick Kawka, who was named MWC freshman of the year, owns a 31-9 singles record and is ranked No. 112 in the nation; and junior Georgy Batrakov, who has posted a 22-3 single record, including a 17-match winning streak, and a 14-3 doubles record with Thomas Shubert.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 146
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 38
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 29
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16