Fresh off its first Mountain West Conference tournament championship in a decade, the BYU men's tennis team is competing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Friday.
The No. 35 Cougars (21-5 overall) face No. 31 San Diego at noon (MT) in Los Angeles.
The winner of that match will take on the winner of No. 2 USC and Sacramento State on Saturday.
The BYU-San Diego match is a showdown between two programs that will be members of the same league next season, as the Cougars are set to join the West Coast Conference.
BYU will also be looking to avenge a 6-1 loss to the Toreros (18-6) in February.
Leading the Cougars are Patrick Kawka, who was named MWC freshman of the year, owns a 31-9 singles record and is ranked No. 112 in the nation; and junior Georgy Batrakov, who has posted a 22-3 single record, including a 17-match winning streak, and a 14-3 doubles record with Thomas Shubert.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34