WENDOVER — A manhunt for Able Perez began in Nevada and Utah Wednesday night shortly after he was was identified as the suspect in a shooting outside of a nightclub.
Thursday morning that search came to an end.
Dispatchers in West Wendover received a call from Perez Thursday around 5:30 a.m. He told them to send police officers to his location because he was going to shoot himself. When officers arrived to the 600 block of Oak Street, where Perez showed up at this brother's house, police say he immediately shot himself without talking to them.
Investigators say he used the same shotgun he used on his wife last night. Perez followed his wife to the West Wendover night club Area 51 around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday and shot her in the head before she got out of her vehicle, said West Wendover Police Sgt. David Wiskerchen.
Perez had called his wife earlier in the evening and threatened to kill her if she went to the club, police say.
Perez's wife was conscious and talking to police when they arrived on scene Wednesday night. However, she quickly became unconscious. She was flown to a Salt Lake hospital in extremely critical condition last night and was immediately rushed into surgery. She has since been upgraded to critical condition.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 43
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 29