DUGWAY PROVING GROUND — The Army is searching for a missing soldier on this expansive military range who used his cell phone to report he was without shoes and is possibly using his shirt as footwear.
The soldier said he had run out of gas and was walking to the test area, said Dugway spokeswoman Paula Thomas. "Apparently he was wearing flip-flops prior to losing them.
"We don't have phone contact any longer," Thomas said. "We don't know why. It could be for any number of reasons — the area he's in doesn't have cell contact, his battery died...."
Inclement weather kept the Army and Tooele County officials from searching by air Monday morning, but a search force was at work on the ground. "I know he is familiar with the area, and he has quite a bit of outdoor experience," Thomas said. "But Dugway covers a lot of area."
Spc. Joseph Michael Bushling did not report being in distress to Dugway officials but placed a call about 7 p.m. Sunday, possibly to a friend. He is described as 5-foot-9 with blue eyes and weighs about 190 pounds. He drives a black 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer. The Army said his last known location was west of Granite Mountain.
Bushling works for the medical clinic at Dugway, but whether he was last seen traveling to or from work is not known, Thomas said.
Anyone with information about Bushling is asked to call the Dugway Police Department at 435-831-2929.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Saved by the belt: Family recalls crash that...
- Cars, homes, police station damaged in...
- Internet task force makes multiple arrests...
- John Williams remembered by friends as a man...
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 82
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 32
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10