Mormon Media Observer: Mormon Media Observer: Here's to Marie Osmond and Stephen Craig
As I watched the video of Marie Osmond and Steve Craig happily leaving the Las Vegas Temple, I couldn’t help think that I like much of what Marie’s public story seems to teach about Mormonism as the years have gone by.
We Mormons don’t always walk on sunshine. But through family loyalty, through effort and faith, and with the light of the Lord, we rise again. The public joy of the Osmonds and of the Craigs this week shows that Mormonism’s story isn’t about how perfect we members are, but about how perfect the atonement is and how perfect we strive to be, about how Mormonism at its best has always been about hope amid second chances. That’s a story the world needs right now, and Marie Osmond’s new marriage tells it well.
So here’s a thanks to Marie Osmond and to Steve Craig for their public embrace of the best of our faith. Here’s to many happy years and to many more songs for the Osmonds as they do their best to represent the faith they so obviously love.
Lane Williams teaches journalism and communication at BYU-Idaho. He is a former journalist whose scholarly interests include Mormon portrayals in the media, media and religion, and religion and politics.
As the Mormon Media Observer, Lane is interested in hearing your ideas for stories at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 29
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 23
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 20