Javier Morales was Real's spark in the early going, playing tough defense in the midfield and putting dangerous ball after dangerous ball into the Chivas box. He was also responsible for two of the three shots on goal recorded in the first half. Javi looked poised to turn this into an easy win until going out with a broken leg from a reckless challenge by fellow Argentine Marcos Mondaini in the 37th minute. Could be devastating for Real. Although his time was short, he's my man of the match. Grade: A
Brought in to replace the injured Javier Morales, Andy Williams was a step slow all game and lacked the leadership Real depends on from the crafty vet. Andy's been able to build momentum out of the gate better than off the bench so far this season. Might be one reason for his lackluster performance Saturday. Grade: B-
Somebody threw off Sabo's groove. He seemed to be on the comeback trail but stumbled Saturday with numerous missed scoring chances one expects from a striker of his stature, speed and skill. Expectations are still high for last season's newcomer of the year, but Saturday looked like a step in the wrong direction. Grade: B-
I have to admit, when he started the game, I was concerned about Fabian's mental state given how badly he took the CCL loss. But he was solid making great runs off the ball and two or three terrific displays of skill. Grade: B+
For the third game in a row, Arturo Alvarez forgot how brilliant he can be. You have to give him credit for taking the attack through the midfield when he had the chance, he certainly has the skill, but lacked the patience and confidence in his team to bring them in on the attack. Grade: C+
It took Warner quite a while to get into the game even though he had most of the second half to get it together. RSL could have used his skill Saturday to break down Chivas' young defensive line inside the box. However, it was his pinpoint cross that gave Johnson the scoring opportunity that meant the difference in the game. Grade: B
Chris Higbee is the Product Director for DeseretNews.com. He can be found @chigbee on Twitter.
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Local flavor in the NBA: Lillard continues to...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 38
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21