Red roundup: Rivals.com sizes up Utes, Cougars during BCS era
Lennie Mahler, Deseret News archives
Utah is 20th (tied with Purdue) and six spots ahead of rival BYU in a Rivals.com measurement of combined football and basketball success during the BCS era, which began in 1998-99. The Utes are the highest ranked Mountain West Conference program, but are just fifth among Pac-12 schools — trailing No. 5 USC, No. 10 UCLA, No. 11 Oregon and No. 14 Arizona. Stanford and Washington are the only future league foes in the Top 30. The Cardinal is No. 23 and the Huskies are No. 24.
If you can't beat them, join them? Former Ute J.J. O'Brien is reportedly on San Diego State's recruiting radar.
"It's all blue sky." That's what Utah athletics director Chris Hill told the Arizona Daily Star about the Pac-12's lucrative new TV deal.
Colorado State coach Tim Miles is extra busy this offseason thanks to departures to Larry Krystkowiak's program at Utah.
And finally, the Minneapolis Star Tribune rates the Vikings' draft class including fifth-round pick Brandon Burton. The cornerback will reportedly be wearing jersey No. 36, instead of his Utah No. 27, as a rookie.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16