Deseret News posts circulation gains, bucking national trend of declining print circulation
SALT LAKE CITY — Print circulation for the Deseret News is up, bucking a downward trend in newspaper circulation nationwide, according to the latest Audit Bureau of Circulations report.
The report showed the Deseret News' average paid daily circulation was up 1.7 percent and 0.1 percent for Sunday circulation for the same six-month period between 2010 and 2011. Daily circulation of the Deseret News was, as of March 31, 73,075 while Sunday circulation was 79,435. During the same period, daily and Sunday circulation of the Salt Lake Tribune declined.
"We are pleased to have one of the top print circulation growth results in the country and appreciate the strong support we receive from the readers of the Deseret News," said Clark Gilbert, president and chief executive officer of Deseret News Publishing Co. and Deseret Digital Media.
The ABC report said the Deseret News' combined print and online audience was down 5 percent, a figure derived by survey sampling. The report said combined circulation was 524,830 compared to 552,507, for the same six-month period ending March 31.
Direct measurements (versus survey samples) of online traffic to deseretnews.com, however, show significant growth of online readership.
"Our directly measured Omniture reports show nearly 40 percent year-over-year growth in unique visitors and nearly 25 percent growth in page view traffic. These trends are reflected in other online industry measures including Alexa and Hitwise," said Chris Lee, general manager of deseretnews.com. "We are pleased to see our online reach and traffic hit record levels."
Deseretnews.com had more than 2.5 million unique visitors in March 2011, compared to more than 1.8 million in March 2010, an increase of 39.2 percent, according to Omniture reports.
Meanwhile, page views were up 24.7 percent for the same period, with more than 31.7 million in 2011 compared to nearly 25.5 million in 2010.
"Even as we accelerate our growth online, we are pleased with the strength of our print circulation," Lee said.
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated in...
- Prison relocation process slows down
- Appeal of excommunicated LDS activist Kate...
- Clearfield pediatrician arrested in child...
- Man accused of shooting 72-year-old West...
- Strack family: Search warrants begin 'to...
- Utah families, researchers play role in...
- New poll shows Love, Owens race tightens;...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 59
- New poll shows Love, Owens race... 46
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 30
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 27
- Prison relocation process slows down 27
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated... 27
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21