Man who rammed into federal agent's car sentenced to prison
SALT LAKE CITY — A driver high on methamphetamine who rammed into a federal agent's vehicle while attempting to elude authorities last summer will go to prison.
A U.S. District judge sentenced Shawn L. Cloward to 27 months behind bars followed by 36 months of supervised release.
Cloward earlier pleaded guilty to assault on a federal officer.
Officers were attempting to arrest Cloward on a number of outstanding warrants Aug. 12, 2010, when he pulled into a cul-de-sac, turned around, crashed into a U.S. marshal vehicle and then tried to ram another. Cloward's Jeep Cherokee nearly hit a number of other police vehicles before colliding with a Unified police truck, which caused the Jeep's rear tire to come off.
When officers finally handcuffed Cloward, they found a backpack containing a 9mm handgun inside.
"I let drugs spin my life out of control," he told Judge Ted Stewart.
Cloward, 31, said he began using drugs heavily after his father committed suicide. He also became hooked on opiates after injuring his back in a car accident. He said he has been sober since being incarcerated.
"It's nice to see from a clear perspective of what life can be," he said, adding he wants to redeem himself and be a good father to his children.
Stewart agreed to recommend Cloward attend a drug treatment program while in prison. "In the end, the question of what you're going to do with the rest of your life is, frankly, up to you," Stewart said.
— Dennis Romboy
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- North Ogden to make Nativity display... 8