SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a statement Thursday regarding tornado damage in the South, saying individual church members have been affected and relief efforts are being assessed.
"All missionaries serving in the Alabama Birmingham Mission, which includes the area most impacted by the storm, are safe and accounted for while the church continues to check on missionaries in surrounding areas," the statement said.
The homes of several church members have been damaged or lost, the statement said, and there are no reports of damage to church buildings.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with those recovering from extreme weather conditions in the South," the church stated. "Church leaders continue to monitor the situation to determine how to best support relief efforts and assist those in need."
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13