SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a statement Thursday regarding tornado damage in the South, saying individual church members have been affected and relief efforts are being assessed.
"All missionaries serving in the Alabama Birmingham Mission, which includes the area most impacted by the storm, are safe and accounted for while the church continues to check on missionaries in surrounding areas," the statement said.
The homes of several church members have been damaged or lost, the statement said, and there are no reports of damage to church buildings.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with those recovering from extreme weather conditions in the South," the church stated. "Church leaders continue to monitor the situation to determine how to best support relief efforts and assist those in need."
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16