SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a statement Thursday regarding tornado damage in the South, saying individual church members have been affected and relief efforts are being assessed.
"All missionaries serving in the Alabama Birmingham Mission, which includes the area most impacted by the storm, are safe and accounted for while the church continues to check on missionaries in surrounding areas," the statement said.
The homes of several church members have been damaged or lost, the statement said, and there are no reports of damage to church buildings.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with those recovering from extreme weather conditions in the South," the church stated. "Church leaders continue to monitor the situation to determine how to best support relief efforts and assist those in need."
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13