SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a statement Thursday regarding tornado damage in the South, saying individual church members have been affected and relief efforts are being assessed.
"All missionaries serving in the Alabama Birmingham Mission, which includes the area most impacted by the storm, are safe and accounted for while the church continues to check on missionaries in surrounding areas," the statement said.
The homes of several church members have been damaged or lost, the statement said, and there are no reports of damage to church buildings.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with those recovering from extreme weather conditions in the South," the church stated. "Church leaders continue to monitor the situation to determine how to best support relief efforts and assist those in need."
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 73
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 46
- Police release names of officers... 35
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 32
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 20
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18