SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a statement Thursday regarding tornado damage in the South, saying individual church members have been affected and relief efforts are being assessed.
"All missionaries serving in the Alabama Birmingham Mission, which includes the area most impacted by the storm, are safe and accounted for while the church continues to check on missionaries in surrounding areas," the statement said.
The homes of several church members have been damaged or lost, the statement said, and there are no reports of damage to church buildings.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with those recovering from extreme weather conditions in the South," the church stated. "Church leaders continue to monitor the situation to determine how to best support relief efforts and assist those in need."
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Grantsville residents tell Prison Relocation...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 41
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 36
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 23
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 21
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 18
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17