After his heroics in Game 1, the fans' expectations may have been too high for Wednesday's game, but Morales just couldn't seem to get past third gear. It could have had something to do with playing without Beckerman or it could have been Monterrey's double-team strategy. Real needed heroics from Morales that just didn't materialize. Grade: B+
Saborio's play was much improved in the last few games and he began to show some of those flashes of brilliance RSL fans became accustomed to last season. His best suit was his defense in playing high and hard attacking all game. His first touch is still a little shaky, but his positioning and physicality were spot on all night. Too bad he couldn't convert some of those holding balls into better quality shots or assists on goal. Grade: B+
Fabi was a pest, and that's how we like him. His defense in Monterrey's third was terrific by creating numerous counter-attack chances that Real couldn't convert on. However, for all his hard work, Espindola's lack of patience and anxiousness may have cost Real a goal or two. Rather than waiting for players to show up and give him options after winning balls away from Monterrey, he tried to go it alone and often got caught trying to be more tricky than he needed to be. Grade: B+
The Twittersphere was buzzing when Alvarez was subbed in for Andy Williams in hopes he'd provide the spark needed for RSL to come back in round one, but it wasn't meant to be. In fact, Artie's decisions and poor passing left much to be desired. He could have been the spark RSL needed but just never seemed able to find his rhythm. Grade: C+
RSL fans are so used to seeing Beltran step up when subbed in to big games that the sting of losing Russell to a leg injury for the second half wasn't so bad until Beltran didn't prove his usual dependable self. Poor passes along the sideline and slow decisions kept RSL in a bit of a funk during the opening minutes of the first half. Grade: B-
Chris Higbee is the Product Director for DeseretNews.com and a soccer fan for life. He can be found @chigbee on Twitter.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19