During the four years the Joseph Smith Sr. family lived in the Manchester, N.Y., frame home, many important events unfolded there.
Of major importance would be the time when the Prophet Joseph went to the hill three miles from the home and received the plates of the Book of Mormon from Moroni. Joseph hid them in a hollow log and retrieved them a day or so later. Carrying the heavy plates, Joseph ran the distance home, fighting off several men who tried to take the plates away from him.
After he arrived at the house, multiple attempts were made by locals to find and seize the plates but without success. Still, after a short time, Joseph and Emma were forced to leave the Palmyra area and move to Harmony, Pa.
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- LDS siblings receive mission calls to Sao...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's funeral planned for Friday
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- 21 uplifting quotes from Elder L. Tom Perry
- Son shares story of miraculous reunion with...
- Why more young women are leaving church
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an 'uncommon' life...
- Possible Boy Scout gay leadership... 77
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 56
- Lindsey Stirling's father responds to... 46
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right... 43
- Michelle Llewellyn: How can I defend... 38
- Is your financial house in order? 10... 27
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Why more young women are leaving church 21