August Miller, Deseret News
Will it be another banner year in the NFL Draft for the Utah Utes? After having a record six players called in 2010, the Utes may be hard pressed for a fitting encore. NFLDraftScout.com is projecting cornerback Brandon Burton as the only sure thing for getting drafted. He's projected as high as the second round and as low as the fifth.
Several other Utah players, though, are considered good possibilities by the website to be picked — or at least garner preferred free agent status. They include center Zane Taylor, guard Caleb Schlauderaff, defensive tackle Sealver Siliga and running back Eddie Wide. Free safety Justin Taplin-Ross and return specialist Shaky Smithson are considered to have a "shot late." Free agent or tryout possibilities include wide receiver Jereme Brooks, defensive end Junior Tui'one, running back Matt Asiata, defensive end Christian Cox, cornerback Lamar Chapman and kicker Joe Phillips.
USA Today reports that Utah football is already benefiting from membership in the Pac-12.
Taylor is listed as one of 10 names for Seattle Seahawks fans to watch during the draft. Quarterbacks Jake Locker and Andy Dalton are also on the list.
Former Jazzman DeShawn Stevenson is credited with pressuring former Ute Andre Miller in Game 5 of the NBA playoff series between Dallas and Portland.
Finally, Urban Meyer's daughter refutes reports that her father will be the next head coach at Ohio State.
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 91
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 44
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33