August Miller, Deseret News
Will it be another banner year in the NFL Draft for the Utah Utes? After having a record six players called in 2010, the Utes may be hard pressed for a fitting encore. NFLDraftScout.com is projecting cornerback Brandon Burton as the only sure thing for getting drafted. He's projected as high as the second round and as low as the fifth.
Several other Utah players, though, are considered good possibilities by the website to be picked — or at least garner preferred free agent status. They include center Zane Taylor, guard Caleb Schlauderaff, defensive tackle Sealver Siliga and running back Eddie Wide. Free safety Justin Taplin-Ross and return specialist Shaky Smithson are considered to have a "shot late." Free agent or tryout possibilities include wide receiver Jereme Brooks, defensive end Junior Tui'one, running back Matt Asiata, defensive end Christian Cox, cornerback Lamar Chapman and kicker Joe Phillips.
USA Today reports that Utah football is already benefiting from membership in the Pac-12.
Taylor is listed as one of 10 names for Seattle Seahawks fans to watch during the draft. Quarterbacks Jake Locker and Andy Dalton are also on the list.
Former Jazzman DeShawn Stevenson is credited with pressuring former Ute Andre Miller in Game 5 of the NBA playoff series between Dallas and Portland.
Finally, Urban Meyer's daughter refutes reports that her father will be the next head coach at Ohio State.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 52
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 52
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48