Espindola again did all the “dirty work” that was described by RSL coach Jason Kreis after last week’s match against the Colorado Rapids. Although he didn’t score Wednesday, he applied pressure to the Monterrey backline for the entire first half and much of the second. While pressuring the goalie in the first half, he forced the corner kick that led to the first goal of the game. He is becoming the unsung hero up top for this team. Grade: A-
Saborio played much better than he did against Colorado, but his touch and finishing still seemed slightly off from the usual skill that RSL fans have grown accustomed to. He placed a perfect give-and-go pass from Espindola right to the goalie early in the match and had at least one shot that was off target. He may be struggling from his off-season knee surgery still, and was replaced in the 82nd minute after earning a yellow card for contact on the goalkeeper. Grade: B-
Bomma came on the pitch as the first sub for the visitors and was key in keeping possession for RSL. He earned a yellow card for a “professional” foul against the attacking Monterrey's Osorio in the 74th minute. All in all, it was a very well played 30 minutes for the RSL original. Grade: B+
Beltran replaced Russell in the 82nd minute and helped the defense prevent Monterrey from scoring their third goal, which would have been disastrous for Salt Lake. He was active during his limited time on the pitch and made enough plays to conserve the draw. Grade: B
Alvarez was the third and final substitute for RSL in the 82nd minute, entering for Saborio. He showed his hustle and determination during his short time on the field and was responsible for taking the ball from a defender before passing it to Morales at the top of the box for the game-tying goal. He may be earning some more time on the field after his last two appearances have helped the team claim last-minute results. Grade: B+
Landon Walters is a history and political science major currently studying at Salt Lake Community College and is an avid sports fan. He can be reached at email@example.com
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27