Questions swirl around mysterious Utah conservative pundit Dan Baltes
Canceled Glenn Beck event fuels distrust
Last summer, a Weber County couple paid Baltes $850 for a bus trip he organized to Beck's 8/28 rally in Washington, D.C., last August. They were unable to go and say he promised them a refund.
"Well, after a months-LONG series of emails, phone contact attempts, and hopes, NO — we have never received a dime back from him," they wrote in an email.
In Pennsylvania, Gillespie received an email from Baltes offering "limited" tickets to any of the three Beck shows for $100 or $500, which included a catered VIP reception, a free copy of Beck's new book and a photo opportunity. She sent in $100 and planned to drive her SUV to Phoenix.
Then she found out the tour was canceled. Though she says she tried to get her money back, she has yet to receive it.
"It damages your dignity," she said. "Your dignity is worth everything."
Osborne, the Florida GOOOH director, said though his group didn't lose money, he said asking donors for money and helping Baltes promote the Beck show tarnished its reputation.
"He's burned a lot of bridges," he said.
Baltes said he finds all the speculation, rumor and innuendo about him disconcerting. Shortly after being interviewed by the Deseret News, he emailed supporters an apology for the failed Glenn Beck show, that includes descriptions of an ugly childhood, troubled past marriages and mental health struggles. He also wrote that he hopes Beck sees it.
But he has no plans to try to put on another major event involving Beck or any other big-name conservative.
"I think we're just going to take a little breather for a while," he said.
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- As winter takes hold, needs increase for...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 106
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 26
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19