What's new: 'Bedtime and Naptime ... and Bedtime and Naptime'
"BEDTIME AND NAPTIME … AND BEDTIME AND NAPTIME: THE SIMPLE JOYS OF A MOM'S LIFE," by Hilary Weeks, Deseret Book, 76 pages, $14.99
Sure, raindrops on roses are nice, as are warm woolen mittens, Hilary Weeks says of the song "My Favorite Things" from "The Sound of Music."
"But that song didn't really capture my favorite things," writes Weeks, an LDS singer/songwriter and frequent performer at Deseret Book's Time Out for Women events.
And two of her favorite things? Bedtime and naptime, which is part of the title of her new book and accompanying CD, which have the amusing parody of "My Favorite Things" with her favorite things.
She also likes it when her children do their chores and put the toilet paper back on the dispenser.
This book and CD are a collection of Weeks' well-known parodies and a few of her memories, experiences, quotes and a few recipes that will make a mother a heroine.
It's also sprinkled with words from songs she has written.
And, of course, Weeks wants to help her readers and listeners laugh and continue to feel power, love and inspiration as a mother.
So Weeks shares stories about laundry, why Wynona comes on family trips, reading tags in clothes that leave a few questions and one that doesn't, cooking, and inspiration she's found in the seemingly ordinary moments in life. Oh, and how she realized that there is a lot of songwriting that can be done in the 15- or 20-minute stretches here and there.
The CD includes a half-dozen parodies and experiences, from a mother's "To-Do List" to the tune of "Chopsticks," to talking with teenagers, to her experience with the "Holy Cow Trail Stampede."
And hopefully, you'll find yourself laughing.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 154
- Why I don’t call myself a... 91
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 62
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 26
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 14