"MILES FROM ORDINARY," by Carol Lynch Williams, St. Martin's Press, 197 pages, $16.99 (f)
"Miles From Ordinary" is not an ordinary book.
In fact, it's so different it's almost bizarre.
But it's still readable and the story is interesting as Lacey tries to break free of her mother's obsessions and odd behaviors.
It's sad, sweet and tragic because Lacey is a good 13-year-old person caught in a situation that prevents her from having any kind of normal life.
She wants a normal mother, friends, freedom and a chance to breathe.
Instead, she has to deal with embarrassing episodes and harmful behavior. She has to explain her mother to others and, as best she can, to herself.
It's clear throughout that she loves her mother and wants her to be safe, but it's also increasingly clear that she cannot control or save her mother from herself.
The only hope in this story lies in a random boyfriend who decides to be kind and in Aunt Linda who abandoned the cause early on.
It's a roller-coaster ride as Lacey takes a chance and then has to deal with the consequences.
It's introspective and illuminating and odd, a quick and somewhat disturbing read.
IF YOU GO ...
What: Carol Lynch Williams book signing
When: Saturday, April 23, 2 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Sharon Haddock is a professional freelance writer with 30 years experience, 17 of those at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com and her email is email@example.com.
- Big on opera: Utah Opera's artistic director...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Peru Fest community event celebrates culture,...
- Behind the scenes of the Utah Shakespeare...
- Actors anxiously await Farmington's 'Annie...
- 'Avengers' unleash 'Ultron' footage at Comic-Con
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 12
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- James Garner was a singular talent with... 1
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't... 1
- Sherry Young: Moving — a life... 1
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt... 1