Sandra Lucas created a program to assist public safety officers who have been exposed to meth labs and who are suffering medically from those exposures. A detox program is offered free of charge to the officers. Sandra is the 2011 Community Safety Hero.
Amy Galvez lost her only son, Adam, in Iraq about 2 years ago. She's since dedicated herself to helping her son's fellow troops overseas. Every month she organizes members of her community to send 65-70 care packages to different troops stationed throughout Iraq. She was recognized as the Military Hero.
Catherine DeVries, a pediatric surgeon at Primary Children's Medical Center, is the founder of International Volunteers in Urology. She recruits volunteers and doctors to take modern medicine to countries that otherwise would not have access to advanced medical treatment. She is being recognized as the International Hero.
Two individuals were recognized for their efforts during the Herriman fire: Coralee Moser and Kevin Williams. Both received the Community in Action Award.
Jill Anderson, Jim Muller, Rod Huck and Brynn Mudliar worked together to help a man they'd witnessed fall more than 40 feet while hiking in Bells Canyon in June 2010. They are the Wilderness Rescue Heroes.
A few days after earthquakes rocked Haiti, KUTV raised over $424,720 during an all-day telethon. Stephen Carlson and Stephanie Avis accepted the Haiti Hero Award on behalf of the station.
The youngest recipient, Wyatt Shosted, was 12-years-old when he administered a glucagon shot last November to his diabetic brother who was in seizure, essentially saving his life. Wyatt, now 13, learned how to mix and administer the shot after his brother was diagnosed with diabetes 18 months before.
"I'd like to keep him around," said his 10-year-old brother, Curtis Shosted.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Police: Body of man missing since March found
- Oldest giraffe in North America dies at Hogle...
- Zion's Hidden Canyon Trail to close for...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 101
- No-Sunday stance has not slowed success... 49
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10