The proud, the few
When the University of Utah introduced basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak last week, President Michael K. Young told a gathering of a hundred or so reporters and boosters: "We're delighted to welcome all of you here today. This is just a small sample of how excited people are about University of Utah basketball."
Not unlike the small sample of excited fans and reporters who attended games last season.
Jimmer to the max
Jimmer, meet The Jimmer.
The appearance caused no small consternation to Rock On, who spent the rest of the week trying to say "Jimmer Fredette's on Jimmy Kimmel" rapidly 10 times without getting tongue-tied.
Asked to compare basketball and golf, Michael Jordan told the media in Las Vegas that golf is an elusive game.
"One of the frustrating parts about it is, one day you feel like you got it, and the next day or the next two days or the next three days you lose it," he said. "If I had to compare the two, I'm glad I didn't play golf because it would have (driven) me nuts."
So instead he tried hitting a baseball?
Rock On had a slight problem staying interested in BYU's spring football game, seeing how it involved the Whites vs. the Blues.
On the other hand, he's fairly sure it was more interesting than next season's Nov. 19 game against New Mexico State.
Pennies onthe dollar
Writing an ESPN.com blog, an unidentified MLB player recently criticized Detroit slugger Miguel Cabrera for a DUI arrest in February.
"But, really, why isn't Cabrera paying a guy $100 a night to drive him around? Plenty of guys do that," wrote "Player X."
"That he didn't is a slap in his teammates' faces. Even if it costs $36,000 a year, we have watches worth more than that."
True. So how come Player X is writing blogs for ESPN.com for a few bucks?
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5 in...
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Kent Myers should have started for...
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Utah next...
- In critical situations, BYU offense, defense...
- BYU report card: Defense holds its own...
- Nerves? Not for Alec Burks, Utah Jazz going...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 27
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 25
- Utah's win over Oregon proof of what... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 22
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21