BYU's basketball season has been over for a couple of weeks, but the Cougars continued to generate national headlines over the weekend.
Guard Jimmer Fredette won the John R. Wooden national player of the year award, giving him a clean sweep of the major national player of the year honors. He became BYU's first-ever consensus national player of the year.
In case you missed it on Thursday night, Fredette and UConn's Kemba Walker, who were in Los Angeles for the Wooden Award announcement, appeared briefly on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Watch it here. This article compares Fredette and Walker when it comes to the upcoming NBA draft. Also, a story came out from Fredette's hometown paper in Glens Falls, N.Y., reporting that "too-famous Jimmer" has stopped attending classes at BYU — at the school's request.
As was widely reported Sunday, BYU associate head coach Dave Rice accepted an offer to become UNLV's head coach. Rice played for the Runnin' Rebels in the early 1990s. Here's ESPN.com's Andy Katz's take on the hiring. The Las Vegas Sun reports on Rice landing his "dream job," and here's the report from the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
The Cougars also wrapped up spring practices Saturday as the White beat the Blue, 18-17, in overtime, in the spring scrimmage. Here's a look at the ten biggest college football storylines this fall, which, of course, includes BYU.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33