HOLLADAY — Granite School District students and employees who have not been vaccinated against measles will not be allowed to return to school until April 25.
Salt Lake County's first confirmed case of measles in 14 years has now impacted four Granite schools — Olympus and Skyline high schools, Evergreen Junior High and William Penn Elementary.
District officials are working to notify parents of students who have not been immunized, said Benjamin Horsley, Granite District spokesman.
Initially, impacted students and school employees were told they could return to school April 18. That date was moved back because it was determined that one of those infected was exposed to the virus as recently as April 6.
The Salt Lake Valley Health Department has been working to track down all those who have been in contact with a teenager who has come down with measles. On Friday, health department officials said there were at least two other probable cases of measles in the valley.
According to a news release from Granite School District, less than 2 percent to 3 percent of students have not been immunized against measles.
Those who haven't been immunized are being removed from schools for their own safety and well being, Horsley said. Granite District has been given an OK from the health department to continue school operations with the exclusion of those who have not been immunized.
At 9 a.m. Sunday, Granite officials began notifying those living in Granite District boundaries about the outbreak though automated phone calls. Those calls were expected to continue throughout the day, Horsley said.
For more information, visit the South Valley Health Department website, www.slvhealth.org.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- New definition of homeless would give... 24
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 18