HOLLADAY — Granite School District students and employees who have not been vaccinated against measles will not be allowed to return to school until April 25.
Salt Lake County's first confirmed case of measles in 14 years has now impacted four Granite schools — Olympus and Skyline high schools, Evergreen Junior High and William Penn Elementary.
District officials are working to notify parents of students who have not been immunized, said Benjamin Horsley, Granite District spokesman.
Initially, impacted students and school employees were told they could return to school April 18. That date was moved back because it was determined that one of those infected was exposed to the virus as recently as April 6.
The Salt Lake Valley Health Department has been working to track down all those who have been in contact with a teenager who has come down with measles. On Friday, health department officials said there were at least two other probable cases of measles in the valley.
According to a news release from Granite School District, less than 2 percent to 3 percent of students have not been immunized against measles.
Those who haven't been immunized are being removed from schools for their own safety and well being, Horsley said. Granite District has been given an OK from the health department to continue school operations with the exclusion of those who have not been immunized.
At 9 a.m. Sunday, Granite officials began notifying those living in Granite District boundaries about the outbreak though automated phone calls. Those calls were expected to continue throughout the day, Horsley said.
For more information, visit the South Valley Health Department website, www.slvhealth.org.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on...
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Police search for two suspects in downtown...
- Willard hunting guide shot while accompanying...
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary of...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 83
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 53
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 31
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Plan to relocate prison to Salt Lake... 14