HOLLADAY — Granite School District students and employees who have not been vaccinated against measles will not be allowed to return to school until April 25.
Salt Lake County's first confirmed case of measles in 14 years has now impacted four Granite schools — Olympus and Skyline high schools, Evergreen Junior High and William Penn Elementary.
District officials are working to notify parents of students who have not been immunized, said Benjamin Horsley, Granite District spokesman.
Initially, impacted students and school employees were told they could return to school April 18. That date was moved back because it was determined that one of those infected was exposed to the virus as recently as April 6.
The Salt Lake Valley Health Department has been working to track down all those who have been in contact with a teenager who has come down with measles. On Friday, health department officials said there were at least two other probable cases of measles in the valley.
According to a news release from Granite School District, less than 2 percent to 3 percent of students have not been immunized against measles.
Those who haven't been immunized are being removed from schools for their own safety and well being, Horsley said. Granite District has been given an OK from the health department to continue school operations with the exclusion of those who have not been immunized.
At 9 a.m. Sunday, Granite officials began notifying those living in Granite District boundaries about the outbreak though automated phone calls. Those calls were expected to continue throughout the day, Horsley said.
For more information, visit the South Valley Health Department website, www.slvhealth.org.
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Wet, cool August delivered more than twice...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Becky Lockhart serious about superintendent...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14