Courtesy of Shops at the Riverwoods
PROVO — Ever had the urge to go to a concert, surf and dine out all in one day?
A nine-month makeover at The Shops at Riverwoods has made it possible. And to commemorate its new look and feel, the shopping center is holding a free musical festival.
The "Jam the River" festival will take place April 8 and 9 at the Riverwoods and will showcase 15 artists, including a special appearance by Sugar Ray.
"This is an invitation to have everybody come down and see all the changes we've made here at the Riverwoods," said Don Osmond, marketing director for The Shops at Riverwoods.
Previously the shopping center mainly offered shopping and dining. The Riverwoods now has what Osmond calls a "third element" to the center — entertainment.
A 50,000-square foot fun center at the Riverwoods includes activities such as a ropes course, miniature croquet, bowling and a Provo beach resort, which has an Indoor Flowrider (basically an indoor surfing machine).
A gazebo was also added that overarches a stage where concerts are frequently held in the shopping center.
Megan Joy and Fictionist, a finalist in the current Rolling Stone "So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star" contest, will also perform under the gazebo at the festival.
Joy and Fictionist will perform back-to-back on April 9, with Joy starting the performance at 6:30 p.m.
"I've listened to (Fictionist)," said Joy, a finalist in Season 8 of American Idol. "They're incredible and I can't wait to meet them."
The singer has performed once before at the Riverwoods, and described the scene as "fun" and "like a cool, summer's night kind of place."
Sugar Ray will perform April 9 at 9 p.m. following Fictionist, which performs at 7:30.
When asked how difficult it was to get Sugar Ray to come and perform in the festival, Osmond put it simply.
"Really it just comes down to asking who's available," he said. "There's nothing like perseverance."
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of...
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Big on opera: Utah Opera's artistic director...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- Behind the scenes of the Utah Shakespeare...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 7
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- James Garner was a singular talent with... 1
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't... 1