Jeffrey D. Allred, Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — Sporting goods retailer Scheels broke ground Wednesday on its new store to be located near 11400 South and State Street in Sandy. When completed in October 2012, the new location will employ up to 450 workers.
The 220,000-square-foot development will house Utah's largest selection of sports, sportswear and footwear.
The development will be named One Fourteen and will contain collection of entertainment venues, specialty shops and boutiques staffed by experts in their particular fields, a news release stated.
Nick Duerksen, economic development director for Sandy City, explained that the remaining 100,000 square feet of available commercial space is currently being marketed to numerous out-of-state potential tenants, which is part of the city's overall economic development strategy.
"It's always good to bring in new businesses to the state of Utah," Duerksen said. "When you bring more variety, it builds the economic base."
The groundbreaking took place the day after the Salt Lake County Council approved an interlocal agreement that pledges $3.8 million in real and personal property tax increment over 25 years to the retail development. The total property-tax increment pledged to the development by seven different taxing entities is more than $16.8 million.
Based in Fargo, N.D., Scheels currently operates 23 stores in North Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Nevada, with new stores planned for Illinois and Utah.
The privately held, employee-owned company was founded as a general merchandise store in 1902 by Frederick Scheel in Sabin, Minn.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Q-and-A with Val Hale: a 'pretty...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 162
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- The ghosts under our feet: 88... 10
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence... 10