Man who lied to federal agents in Kiplyn Davis case is sentenced
SALT LAKE CITY — A man who admitted to lying about what friends told him regarding the disappearance of Kiplyn Davis will not spend additional time in prison.
U.S. District Judge Tena Campbell sentenced Garry Von Blackmore to 36 months of probation Monday for his plea to two counts of perjury. He will be required to maintain employment or job training and undergo random drug tests.
Blackmore, 31, originally faced five counts of making false statements to federal investigators and a grand jury. Prosecutors dropped three counts in exchange for his guilty plea. He served 13 months in prison, stemming from the charges that were filed in August 2005.
Davis went missing from Spanish Fork High School in May 1995, when she was 15 years old.
Assistant U.S. attorney Carlos Esqueda told the judge Blackmore was never a target of the investigation into the girl's disappearance. The prosecutor agreed with Blackmore that the federal case helped turn his life around. Court records show him last living in Orem with his wife and child.
Blackmore testified in the federal perjury case against Timmy Brent Olsen, in which Olsen was convicted and sentenced to 12½ years in prison. Blackmore was also prepared to testify against Olsen in a state murder trial.
In February, Olsen pleaded guilty to manslaughter for his role in the killing of Davis in Spanish Fork Canyon and received a one- to 15-year prison term. Her body has never been found. Under the plea deal, he did not have to reveal where she is buried.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Firefighter, 3 others injured in apartment blaze
- Holladay man killed, son injured in shooting...
- Teen in critical condition after friend...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 29
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 28
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11