SALT LAKE CITY — A man who admitted to lying about what friends told him regarding the disappearance of Kiplyn Davis will not spend additional time in prison.
U.S. District Judge Tena Campbell sentenced Garry Von Blackmore to 36 months of probation Monday for his plea to two counts of perjury. He will be required to maintain employment or job training and undergo random drug tests.
Blackmore, 31, originally faced five counts of making false statements to federal investigators and a grand jury. Prosecutors dropped three counts in exchange for his guilty plea. He served 13 months in prison, stemming from the charges that were filed in August 2005.
Davis went missing from Spanish Fork High School in May 1995, when she was 15 years old.
Assistant U.S. attorney Carlos Esqueda told the judge Blackmore was never a target of the investigation into the girl's disappearance. The prosecutor agreed with Blackmore that the federal case helped turn his life around. Court records show him last living in Orem with his wife and child.
Blackmore testified in the federal perjury case against Timmy Brent Olsen, in which Olsen was convicted and sentenced to 12½ years in prison. Blackmore was also prepared to testify against Olsen in a state murder trial.
In February, Olsen pleaded guilty to manslaughter for his role in the killing of Davis in Spanish Fork Canyon and received a one- to 15-year prison term. Her body has never been found. Under the plea deal, he did not have to reveal where she is buried.
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not...
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Impeachment investigation 'highly likely,'...
- Attorney General John Swallow tells House...
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Lehi imposes emergency watering restrictions
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview... 38
- BYU poll: Majority favor impeachment,... 30
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 21
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 21
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 20