August Miller, Deseret News archives
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah State Democratic Party chairman announced Monday he will not seek a fourth term as chairman of the party.
Wayne Holland, an international staff representative for the United Steeelworkers union, led the party from 2005 until 2011, making him one of the longest-serving Democratic Party leaders in Utah history, joining John Klas (1968-76) and Meg Holbrook (1997-2003) in serving three or more terms.
"Serving as chairman of the state party has been one of the greatest experiences I've ever had," Holland said. "The past six years have been eventful working on public policy issues like the school voucher fight, and building relationships with great leaders. I have to thank the United Steelworkers for providing me with the flexibility to do this work."
Democratic leaders in Utah credit Holland with building an infrastructure for Democrats in Utah, fundraising and improving turnout of party voters.
Since becoming chairman in 2005, Holland has been appointed to serve on the Democratic National Committee's Rules and Bylaws committee and was recently elected to the DNC Executive Committee. Holland has helped the national party implement DNC Chairman Howard Dean's "50 State Strategy" and DNC Chairman Tim Kaine's "Organizing for America" in Utah.
When his term ends in December, he plans to campaign for the re-election of President Barak Obama, a news release stated.
The Utah Democratic Party will select new officers — including a chairman, vice chairman, secretary and treasurer — at their organizing convention to be held July 16. The location has yet to be determined.
The filing deadline for candidates will be April 19 with the commencement of the Washington County Democratic Party Organizing Convention.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- Bingham High students walk out over... 83
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18