August Miller, Deseret News archives
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah State Democratic Party chairman announced Monday he will not seek a fourth term as chairman of the party.
Wayne Holland, an international staff representative for the United Steeelworkers union, led the party from 2005 until 2011, making him one of the longest-serving Democratic Party leaders in Utah history, joining John Klas (1968-76) and Meg Holbrook (1997-2003) in serving three or more terms.
"Serving as chairman of the state party has been one of the greatest experiences I've ever had," Holland said. "The past six years have been eventful working on public policy issues like the school voucher fight, and building relationships with great leaders. I have to thank the United Steelworkers for providing me with the flexibility to do this work."
Democratic leaders in Utah credit Holland with building an infrastructure for Democrats in Utah, fundraising and improving turnout of party voters.
Since becoming chairman in 2005, Holland has been appointed to serve on the Democratic National Committee's Rules and Bylaws committee and was recently elected to the DNC Executive Committee. Holland has helped the national party implement DNC Chairman Howard Dean's "50 State Strategy" and DNC Chairman Tim Kaine's "Organizing for America" in Utah.
When his term ends in December, he plans to campaign for the re-election of President Barak Obama, a news release stated.
The Utah Democratic Party will select new officers — including a chairman, vice chairman, secretary and treasurer — at their organizing convention to be held July 16. The location has yet to be determined.
The filing deadline for candidates will be April 19 with the commencement of the Washington County Democratic Party Organizing Convention.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah in top 10 for visitor spending at...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 57
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 49
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16