You can count on many things staying the same during general conference every six months, but the "Treasures of the Collection" exhibits are sure to bring some novelty to the weekend.
"The Treasures of the Collection" open house features rare and historic pieces of LDS history. This week's open house will be at the Church History Library on Friday, April 1, from 5–9 p.m., and Saturday, April 2, from noon to 2 p.m. and 4– 9 p.m.
Some exhibits have been displayed at the library before, like a first-edition Book of Mormon that contains Joseph Smith's handwriting in it. Others, however, will be at the exhibit for the first time.
"What's neat about it is that you go, and for a moment, when you look at these documents that are about as far away from your eyes as they were from Joseph Smith's hand, it really transports you back in time, and it connects you with the people and places that make our history," said Patrick Dunshee, manager of marketing and communications for the Church History Department.
New additions include late church President Joseph F. Smith's journal commencing in 1838, and a Book of Mormon containing text in both French and German.
One portion of the exhibits focuses on the history surrounding the church in Hawaii.
George Q. Cannon served a mission in Hawaii, and his mission journals will be on display as well as Heber J. Grant's journal, which talks about the dedication of the Laie Hawaii Temple. Other items with significance to Hawaii will be displayed as well, including a journal entry that was recorded on the day Pearl Harbor was bombed.
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Thousands gather for LDS Women's Meeting
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- LDS general conference marks 90th, 65th...
- Defending the Faith: Thinking clearly about...
- New Jersey teen to join fight against... 62
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 13
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3
- Watch: September 2014 General Women's... 2
- Jerry Earl Johnston: A celebrated... 2