Editor's note: One of several readers' memories of general conference.
In a world overflowing with easy-access information and differing opinions, it is easy to question the reality of one's chosen religion. It is all too easy to wonder.
Spiritual exploration is important for spiritual growth. To question one's faith is to explore it and to understand it. We are divine, and intelligent beings, and we are constantly faced with a choice: to believe despite our doubts or to walk away.
I was contemplating this issue of faith and the choice of belief during the October 2010 conference.
Bishop Richard C. Edgley, the first counselor in the presiding bishopric, with his hushed, even-toned voice, outlined the path of faith. With one insightful phrase, "Faith — the choice is yours,” he answered the question of what to do when we wonder and question. We must choose faith.
Later in the talk he said, "There is much that I do not know. ... But while I don't know everything, I know the important. I know the plain and simple gospel truths that lead to salvation and exaltation. I know that the Savior did suffer the pain of all men and that all repentant people can be cleansed from sin. And what I don't know or don't completely understand, with the powerful aid of my faith, I bridge the gap and move on, partaking of the promises and blessings of the gospel. And then, as Alma teaches, our faith brings us to a perfect knowledge. By moving forward into the unknown, armed only with hope and desire, we show evidence of our faith and our devotion to the Lord."
With this practical and resounding statement, Bishop Edgley spoke to my heart and instilled a plan of action against the temptation to doubt. Even he, a general authority, does not know it all, but he makes the choice, the same choice I make: to turn my belief into faith and my faith into happiness.
Teri Harman writes from home amid the chaos of three young children. She blogs at teriharmanzenwriting.blogspot.com.
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- President Uchtfdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS...
- LDS Church releases video about overcoming...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in the...
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 89
- LDS Church releases video about... 42
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 20
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 19
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 6