BYU basketball player grades: Cold-shooting Cougars battled despite coming up short
Mike Terry, Deseret News
With a chance to advance to the Elite Eight and reach the furthest point that any previous BYU team had ever reached, the Cougars came up just short. The Cougars, despite not shooting the ball well, scratched and clawed throughout their NCAA Tournament game but ultimately lost to Florida in overtime, 83-74, on Thursday. Here's how BYU's players graded over 45 minutes inside New Orleans Arena:
Jimmer Fredette: In the final game of his brilliant career, Fredette didn't shoot well, finishing just 11 of 29 from the field. But to his immense credit, he battled and battled and battled before running out of gas. Fredette finished with 32 points and five assists. Grade: B+
Noah Hartsock: Did what he could at both ends but ultimately didn't have the same sort of impact he enjoyed in the previous round against Gonzaga. Hartsock scored nine points on 3-of-9 shooting and added six boards and three assists. Grade: B
Jackson Emery: Was red hot by hitting his first three 3-pointers to help BYU stay in the game early, but he unfortunately picked up a pair of fouls and had to sit the rest of the half. He didn't have the same sort of impact the rest of the night, though — like Jimmer — he continued to fight. Grade: B
Kyle Collinsworth: In his final game before departing on a mission, Collinsworth continued to dominate the glass. The true freshman grabbed a whopping 15 rebounds. He finished with five points, crucially making the front end of a 1-and-1 to help BYU get to OT. (He missed the second free throw.) Grade: A-
Charles Abouo: He struggled offensively — making just 2-of-9 shots — but had some huge contributions defensively, including on the final possession of regulation. Grade: B
Logan Magnusson: Finished with six points and a pair of assists, but was saddled with foul trouble throughout. Grade: B-
Stephen Rogers: Made a pair of 3-pointers in the first half before finishing 2-of-6 from behind the arc. He contributed defensively in the second half. Grade: B
James Anderson: Saw limited action in the first half. Grade: Incomplete
Brock Zylstra: Came off the bench in the final minute so Fredette could get a standing ovation. Grade: Incomplete
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 140
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 105
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 86
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 41
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 25