Red roundup: ESPN's Andy Katz says Utes can forget about hiring BYU's Dave Rose
Mike Terry, Deseret News
ESPN.com's Andy Katz had a lot to say about the vacant Utah job opening in a blog from New Orleans. He's reporting that Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett won't be the Utes' next coach after interviewing for the position and that any chatter of BYU's Dave Rose taking the job is "foolish" and "there's no way that will happen." Katz also said "it's amazing how the Utah job has become such an afterthought in the coaching carousel." He added that Ute fans should appreciate everything Rick Majerus did during his tenure up on the hill.
— Former Utah interim coach Kerry Rupp was fired after four seasons at the helm of Louisiana Tech.
— Forbes.com lists ex-Ute assistant Trent Johnson as one of the nation's most overpaid men's basketball coaches. The LSU head coach, who is very much in the rumor mix for the Utah job, lost 21 games last season.
— Former Utah coach Ray Giacoletti, who is now an assistant at Gonzaga, was the top choice to fill the vacancy at Northern Illinois. However, he withdrew his name from consideration after contract talks fell apart.
— HoopsWorld is speculating that trouble could be brewing with the Milwaukee Bucks, who are in the midst of a disappointing season. Ex-Ute Andrew Bogut, though, is credited for playing despite being less than 100-percent healthy.
Along other fronts ...
It's looking more and more like Utah's move to the Pac-12 this summer will be quite lucrative, as in very, very, very — with a cherry on top. Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News has an update on the conference's television negotiations, which could exceed $200 million annually.
— Mike Bianchi, a Florida sports radio host and Orlando Sentinel blogger, is convinced that former Utah coach Urban Meyer will be running the show at Ohio State in 2012.
— Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com spoke with San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith about the NFL's labor situation, which impacts the free-agent status of Utah alumnus Eric Weddle.
— And finally, San Diego State quarterback Ryan Lindley had good things to say about former Utah offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig as the Aztecs open spring ball.
— And finally, a review of a new book by former college basketball coach Tom Penders entitled "Dead Coach Walking" has drawn mentions of former Utah coaches Rick Majerus and Urban Meyer and the health issues they've had in their coaching careers.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 27
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21