Red roundup: ESPN's Andy Katz says Utes can forget about hiring BYU's Dave Rose
Mike Terry, Deseret News
ESPN.com's Andy Katz had a lot to say about the vacant Utah job opening in a blog from New Orleans. He's reporting that Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett won't be the Utes' next coach after interviewing for the position and that any chatter of BYU's Dave Rose taking the job is "foolish" and "there's no way that will happen." Katz also said "it's amazing how the Utah job has become such an afterthought in the coaching carousel." He added that Ute fans should appreciate everything Rick Majerus did during his tenure up on the hill.
— Former Utah interim coach Kerry Rupp was fired after four seasons at the helm of Louisiana Tech.
— Forbes.com lists ex-Ute assistant Trent Johnson as one of the nation's most overpaid men's basketball coaches. The LSU head coach, who is very much in the rumor mix for the Utah job, lost 21 games last season.
— Former Utah coach Ray Giacoletti, who is now an assistant at Gonzaga, was the top choice to fill the vacancy at Northern Illinois. However, he withdrew his name from consideration after contract talks fell apart.
— HoopsWorld is speculating that trouble could be brewing with the Milwaukee Bucks, who are in the midst of a disappointing season. Ex-Ute Andrew Bogut, though, is credited for playing despite being less than 100-percent healthy.
Along other fronts ...
It's looking more and more like Utah's move to the Pac-12 this summer will be quite lucrative, as in very, very, very — with a cherry on top. Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News has an update on the conference's television negotiations, which could exceed $200 million annually.
— Mike Bianchi, a Florida sports radio host and Orlando Sentinel blogger, is convinced that former Utah coach Urban Meyer will be running the show at Ohio State in 2012.
— Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com spoke with San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith about the NFL's labor situation, which impacts the free-agent status of Utah alumnus Eric Weddle.
— And finally, San Diego State quarterback Ryan Lindley had good things to say about former Utah offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig as the Aztecs open spring ball.
— And finally, a review of a new book by former college basketball coach Tom Penders entitled "Dead Coach Walking" has drawn mentions of former Utah coaches Rick Majerus and Urban Meyer and the health issues they've had in their coaching careers.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 43
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 36
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25