SALT LAKE CITY — His personal life spiraling out of control and faced with the dim prospect of foreclosure, a Salt Lake man embarked on a novel quest to raise money.
John Maxim offered to torch his car in exchange for cash. And it worked.
"I tried something that was a little crazy and unorthodox, but it worked," he said.
In a plea for help he perpetuated through a personal blog and through Facebook, Maxim sported photos of his 1993 Ford Escort and said he was willing to have companies "pay" to put advertising slogans on his car before it went up in flames. He also asked for donations or loans.
His unique offer sparked such interest that the dollars began dribbling in, with the total reaching $20,000, which he has promised to use to pay back to donors.
The Bureau of Land Management, however, was less than impressed, instituting an investigation that resulted in Maxim being convicted in federal court this month on two criminal offenses.
Maxim pleaded guilty to misdemeanor violations of creating a hazard and a nuisance and starting a fire other than a campfire. His probation also included a $1,000 fine and restitution of $2,413.75 to cover response costs, fire suppression and auto towing fees.
Maxim torched his car this past fall at one of his favorite camping spots at Lone Rock in Tooele County's Skull Valley, which is on BLM land. The burning Tempo was captured on film and posted on websites.
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor young...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- Legend of Vernal bank built by bricks sent...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 30
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 18
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 17