SALT LAKE CITY — His personal life spiraling out of control and faced with the dim prospect of foreclosure, a Salt Lake man embarked on a novel quest to raise money.
John Maxim offered to torch his car in exchange for cash. And it worked.
"I tried something that was a little crazy and unorthodox, but it worked," he said.
In a plea for help he perpetuated through a personal blog and through Facebook, Maxim sported photos of his 1993 Ford Escort and said he was willing to have companies "pay" to put advertising slogans on his car before it went up in flames. He also asked for donations or loans.
His unique offer sparked such interest that the dollars began dribbling in, with the total reaching $20,000, which he has promised to use to pay back to donors.
The Bureau of Land Management, however, was less than impressed, instituting an investigation that resulted in Maxim being convicted in federal court this month on two criminal offenses.
Maxim pleaded guilty to misdemeanor violations of creating a hazard and a nuisance and starting a fire other than a campfire. His probation also included a $1,000 fine and restitution of $2,413.75 to cover response costs, fire suppression and auto towing fees.
Maxim torched his car this past fall at one of his favorite camping spots at Lone Rock in Tooele County's Skull Valley, which is on BLM land. The burning Tempo was captured on film and posted on websites.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Fight Like Girls group helps women battle...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 37
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 16