OREM — David Osmond clearly has the family entertainment genes.
At the SCERA on March 19, he moved easily through back-to-back concerts, singing, dancing, playing his guitar and bringing the audience into his world without undue effort.
He was relaxed, energetic, upbeat and focused as he sang tunes from familiar artists — "Superstitious" from Stevie Wonder looks good on him — and songs from his original inventory "The Road Less Traveled" and "The Loneliest Walk."
He joked about his life and his heritage, brought his pregnant wife on stage to meet the fans, celebrated the BYU Cougars' basketball victory and apologized for fading out in the 7 p.m. concert. (He apparently overdid it and nearly passed out.)
He explained his ongoing battle with multiple sclerosis and congratulated his dad, sitting in the audience, for showing him how to live with physical challenge.
Judging from the audience reaction — an audience made up of teenagers, friends and family, and senior citizen-age fans — he's a hit.
His music is interesting, easy to listen to and his style is suave. During the 9 p.m. concert, there was a liberal mix of light rock, love ballad, oldie-but-goodie and gospel pop such as "He Hears Me," a "Christian rock pop" song written for his Deseret Book CD.
There isn't a single cut that stands out from the rest, which is a shame, but it's all nice.
The rock-n-roll numbers are nicer than the ballads, though. "Danny Boy" isn't really a good fit, while "We're Staying Together" is.
He clearly knows what he's doing when he sings and performs. He has the smile. He has the vocal chords.
He just needs to figure out where he is going in the industry.
Sharon Haddock is a professional freelance writer with 30 years experience, 17 of those at the Deseret News. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or see her personal blog at http://sharonhaddock.blogspot.com/
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- Fox needs to find a successor to man who...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without... 13
- Trump takes time from victory lap to... 13
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed... 5
- Chris Hicks: Movies to watch over the... 3
- Fox needs to find a successor to man... 2
- Why ‘Rogue One’ will be... 1
- Life lessons keep coming from Star Trek... 1
- Big screen spectacle 'Star Trek Beyond'... 1