VERNAL — A second Vernal Junior High School wrestler has been ordered to serve at least 22 days in a youth detention center for his role in a sexually based hazing incident on a school bus.
The 14-year-old entered an admission this week in 8th District Juvenile Court to an amended allegation of attempted forcible sex abuse, which would be a third-degree felony if the boy were an adult.
In exchange for his plea, Duchesne County prosecutors agreed to request the dismissal of a hazing allegation against the teen.
The boy — one of three wrestlers referred to juvenile court following an incident last year on a Uintah School District bus — was ordered to perform 188 hours of community service and undergo a sexual behavior risk assessment, in addition to serving time in the Split Mountain Youth Detention Center.
The teen must also complete any treatment recommended as a result of the risk assessment.
On Dec. 4, the three teens engaged in individual lewd acts at the back of a bus returning from a wrestling tournament in Morgan, according to the Duchesne County Sheriff's Office.
They then wiped bodily fluids on their teammates, investigators said. The incident was recorded by surveillance cameras in the bus.
In February, one of the wrestlers entered an admission to attempted forcible sex abuse in exchange for the dismissal of the hazing count.
The 14-year-old received sanctions identical to those meted out this week to his teammate. Neither boy is required to register as a sex offender.
The case against the third wrestler, a 15-year-old, has been set for trial on April 25.
— Geoff Liesik
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 19
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14