Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
BYU enjoyed an up-and-down evening in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament Thursday night, but the Cougars did enough to make sure there wasn't an upset, beating Wofford, 74-66. Here's how BYU's players graded over 40 minutes inside the Pepsi Center:
Jimmer Fredette: BYU's star senior shined on the big stage — yet again. He played patiently, getting the ball to open teammates before later driving to the basket and scoring himself. Fredette finished with 32 points, eight assists and six boards. Grade: A.
Noah Hartsock: Played really well in the first before tapering off somewhat in the second half. Hartsock made two open 3's during the first half, and — as he's done since Brandon Davies' suspension — played very, very hard throughout. Grade: B+.
Jackson Emery: The first half was a big struggle for BYU's all-time steals leader, but he played much better in the second half and consequently made much more of an impact on both ends of the floor. Emery was 0-for-4 from 3-point land but finished with eight points, five boards, three assists and two steals. Grade: B-.
Charles Abouo: Was terrific when he was on the court, but foul trouble limited his contribution to 10 points and five boards before fouling out. In particular, his third and fourth fouls in the second half were totally unnecessary. Grade: C+.
Kyle Collinsworth: Didn't shine offensively — he wasn't asked to — but everything else he did was stellar. Collinsworth racked up 11 boards, four steals and three assists to contribute to BYU's win. Grade: A-.
Logan Magnusson: Hit a pair of huge 3-pointers midway through the second half and gave coach Dave Rose valuable minutes off the bench. Grade: B+.
James Anderson: Had a lay-in on his first possession of the game, but he committed a potentially dangerous double foul (personal foul and a technical foul) near the end of the first half and didn't exactly inspire confidence. Grade: C-.
Stephen Rogers: Was on the floor for a few minutes near the end of the first half but sat on the bench otherwise. Grade: Incomplete.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36