North Sanpete, Northridge basketball coaches also fired
Jerry Parker's termination as South Summit's boys basketball coach last week was a huge story, one that quickly became one of the most commented stories on the Deseret News website. Parker was stunned by the decision — particuarly after such a successful season in which the Wildcats advanced to the 2A state championship — and was told he didn't have the support of the parents.
At the time of publication, South Summit's principal wasn't unavailable for comment. The Park Record, however, contacted South Summit School District superintendent Barry Walker recently, who insisted Parker's termination had nothing to do with South Summit losing the state championship.
Parker isn't the only coach let coach since the end the 2010-2011 season. A few weeks after leading North Sanpete to its first region title in 27 years, Mid Utah Radio is reporting that coach Bull Keisel has been fired by principal Jim Bowles. Reporter Mike Traina goes into great detail about Keisel's history at North Sanpete.
North Sanpete also fired its football coach at the end of the football season. Principal Bowles replaced him with former Snow College coach Steve Coburn, who was ironically enough fired from Snow College.
The Deseret News has also learned that Northridge basketball coach Bryan Veazie was let go as well after just two seasons. Northridge finished with an 8-15 record in his first year, and a 3-18 record this season.
Three other schools will have new coaches next season: Brighton coach Lyndon Johnson, Canyon View coach Jim Langford and Liahona Academy coach Jeremy Long all announced their resignations at the end of the 2011 season.
Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things to ponder as the Aggies head to fall...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 107
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 42
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21