SALT LAKE CITY — In the wake of the tragic earthquakes in Japan and New Zealand, the Utah Division of Consumer Protection is reminding Utah consumers to verify charitable organizations before making donations.
“While many of us are looking for ways to help these devastated countries and their citizens, unfortunately there are those who still seek to take advantage of our good deeds through our wallets,” said Francine Giani, executive director of the Utah Department of Commerce, “We ask consumers to make sure charities are registered with the state to be sure your generous efforts truly help those in need.”
Tips on giving:
1. Donate to charities with a track record and a history.
2. If you have any doubt about whether you’ve made a previous pledge or a contribution, check your records. If you can’t remember making the donation or pledge, resist the pressure to give.
3. Investigate an organization before donating. Some phony charities use names, seals and logos that look or sound like those of respected, legitimate organizations.
4. Call the Utah Division of Consumer Protection at (801) 530-6601 to see whether the charity or fundraising organization has to be registered in Utah or log on to: www.consumerprotection.utah.gov.
5. Do not give cash donations. For security and tax record purposes, it is best to pay by check made payable to the charity.
6. Ask for a receipt showing the amount of your contribution.
7. Be wary of promises of guaranteed sweepstakes winnings in exchange for a contribution. You never have to give a donation to be eligible to win a sweepstakes.
Additional resources for consumers
www.guidestar.org — Guidestar
www.bbb.us/charity — Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance
www.charitynavigator.org – Charity Navigator
www.charitywatch.org — American Institute of Philanthropy
FTC public education materials in English: http://www.ftc.gov/charityfraud
FTC public education materials in Espanol: http://www.ftc.gov/donaciones
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- Bingham High students walk out over... 83
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18