SALT LAKE CITY — In the wake of the tragic earthquakes in Japan and New Zealand, the Utah Division of Consumer Protection is reminding Utah consumers to verify charitable organizations before making donations.
“While many of us are looking for ways to help these devastated countries and their citizens, unfortunately there are those who still seek to take advantage of our good deeds through our wallets,” said Francine Giani, executive director of the Utah Department of Commerce, “We ask consumers to make sure charities are registered with the state to be sure your generous efforts truly help those in need.”
Tips on giving:
1. Donate to charities with a track record and a history.
2. If you have any doubt about whether you’ve made a previous pledge or a contribution, check your records. If you can’t remember making the donation or pledge, resist the pressure to give.
3. Investigate an organization before donating. Some phony charities use names, seals and logos that look or sound like those of respected, legitimate organizations.
4. Call the Utah Division of Consumer Protection at (801) 530-6601 to see whether the charity or fundraising organization has to be registered in Utah or log on to: www.consumerprotection.utah.gov.
5. Do not give cash donations. For security and tax record purposes, it is best to pay by check made payable to the charity.
6. Ask for a receipt showing the amount of your contribution.
7. Be wary of promises of guaranteed sweepstakes winnings in exchange for a contribution. You never have to give a donation to be eligible to win a sweepstakes.
Additional resources for consumers
www.guidestar.org — Guidestar
www.bbb.us/charity — Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance
www.charitynavigator.org – Charity Navigator
www.charitywatch.org — American Institute of Philanthropy
FTC public education materials in English: http://www.ftc.gov/charityfraud
FTC public education materials in Espanol: http://www.ftc.gov/donaciones
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26