Davis County Jail,
FARMINGTON — An analyst in the state Planning and Budget Office facing child sex abuse allegations made his first court appearance Friday — the same day formal charges were filed against him.
Stephen J. Coleman, 40, a budget and policy analyst for the state, was charged with three counts of sodomy of a child and six counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, all first-degree felonies, in 2nd District Court.
He appeared before Judge Michael Allphin, who found that the man was indigent and appointed him an attorney. Allphin also entered a protective order preventing Coleman from having contact with the minors involved in the case. Bail was set at $500,000.
Coleman was abusing two females with whom he was "in a position of special trust," the charges state. The alleged abuse began in January of 2009 and continued through March 5, 2011.
Police were notified of the abuse March 7, after receiving a call from the Division of Child and Family Services. DCFS became involved after receiving a call from a concerned third party who knows the family. Coleman was arrested at his office in the Utah Capitol later that day.
The governor's office announced following Coleman's arrest that he has been placed on personal leave. The Department of Human Resource Management could not be reached Friday to state whether his employment status was affected when charges were filed.
Coleman has been on the governor's staff since 2009. He reported to the state's budget director and not to Gov. Gary Herbert personally.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 14