Davis County Jail,
FARMINGTON — An analyst in the state Planning and Budget Office facing child sex abuse allegations made his first court appearance Friday — the same day formal charges were filed against him.
Stephen J. Coleman, 40, a budget and policy analyst for the state, was charged with three counts of sodomy of a child and six counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, all first-degree felonies, in 2nd District Court.
He appeared before Judge Michael Allphin, who found that the man was indigent and appointed him an attorney. Allphin also entered a protective order preventing Coleman from having contact with the minors involved in the case. Bail was set at $500,000.
Coleman was abusing two females with whom he was "in a position of special trust," the charges state. The alleged abuse began in January of 2009 and continued through March 5, 2011.
Police were notified of the abuse March 7, after receiving a call from the Division of Child and Family Services. DCFS became involved after receiving a call from a concerned third party who knows the family. Coleman was arrested at his office in the Utah Capitol later that day.
The governor's office announced following Coleman's arrest that he has been placed on personal leave. The Department of Human Resource Management could not be reached Friday to state whether his employment status was affected when charges were filed.
Coleman has been on the governor's staff since 2009. He reported to the state's budget director and not to Gov. Gary Herbert personally.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- New definition of homeless would give... 24
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 18