Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
No. 8 BYU struggled and struggled and struggled some more, but the Cougars did just enough to eke past lowly TCU, 64-58, in the opening round of the Mountain West Tournament on Thursday. Here's how BYU's players graded over 40 minutes inside the Thomas & Mack Center:
Jimmer Fredette: Difficult afternoon for the Player of the Year candidate, who struggled from the field (7 of 21 from the field), turned the ball over five times and couldn't get many calls. But he nonetheless got his points and helped make winning plays for BYU. Fredette finished with 24 points and two assists. Grade: C+.
Charles Abouo: Played really well offensively in the first half before trailing off in the second half. He did play hard, though, from start to finish on both ends of the floor. He had 14 points, eight rebounds, two assists and two steals. Grade: B+.
Jackson Emery: Struggled offensively, shooting 3 of 13 from 3-point land, but simply did what he could to help the Cougars gut out a win. He had nine points, three assists, a steal and a huge late block to seal the victory. Grade: C.
Kyle Collinsworth: Enjoyed an up-and-down afternoon. He had eight rebounds and performed well defensively in the second half, though he did miss 3 of 6 free throws. Grade: B.
Noah Hartsock: Probably played the best of any Cougar on Thursday. He made key plays on both ends of the floor to help BYU avoid an upset. Hartsock filled up the stat sheet with 10 points, seven rebounds (five of them on the offensive end), four assists and three blocks. Grade: A.
Logan Magnusson: Took back-to-back charges when he was on the floor in the first half and contributed when called upon. Grade: B.
Stephen Rogers: Didn't make much of an impact in six minutes during the first half. Grade: Incomplete.
James Anderson: Not enough time to contribute. Grade: Incomplete.
Brock Zylstra: Not enough time to contribute. Grade: Incomplete.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22