SALT LAKE CITY — Mayor Ralph Becker announced Thursday that he has appointed a new Salt Lake City prosecutor.
Padma Veeru-Collings, who has worked in the city prosecutor's office for 13 years, will now take the post, overseeing the 16 attorneys within the office.
The position opened up after then-city prosecutor Sim Gill was elected as Salt Lake County district attorney.
"Padma Veeru-Collings is an extraordinarily well qualified and experienced attorney who has proven herself in years of service to the residents of Salt Lake City," Becker said in a statement.
"We are lucky to have her in this important leadership position in our prosecutor's office, and look forward to continued excellence."
Veeru-Collings worked specifically on cases of domestic violence and stalking for the past 10 years. She chairs the Utah Domestic Violence Resource Center and has conducted training sessions on domestic violence-related issues for volunteers, prosecutors and law enforcement officers.
She received her law degree from Brigham Young University's J. Reuben Clark Law School and also holds a master's degree in public administration.
Veeru-Collings was chosen from among 18 candidates by a six-person selection committee made up of city personnel, a justice court judge, a member of the Utah State Bar Association and a member of the public.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 52
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 22
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17