SALT LAKE CITY — Mayor Ralph Becker announced Thursday that he has appointed a new Salt Lake City prosecutor.
Padma Veeru-Collings, who has worked in the city prosecutor's office for 13 years, will now take the post, overseeing the 16 attorneys within the office.
The position opened up after then-city prosecutor Sim Gill was elected as Salt Lake County district attorney.
"Padma Veeru-Collings is an extraordinarily well qualified and experienced attorney who has proven herself in years of service to the residents of Salt Lake City," Becker said in a statement.
"We are lucky to have her in this important leadership position in our prosecutor's office, and look forward to continued excellence."
Veeru-Collings worked specifically on cases of domestic violence and stalking for the past 10 years. She chairs the Utah Domestic Violence Resource Center and has conducted training sessions on domestic violence-related issues for volunteers, prosecutors and law enforcement officers.
She received her law degree from Brigham Young University's J. Reuben Clark Law School and also holds a master's degree in public administration.
Veeru-Collings was chosen from among 18 candidates by a six-person selection committee made up of city personnel, a justice court judge, a member of the Utah State Bar Association and a member of the public.
- About Utah: He's going public (again) for a...
- Mom who murdered 6 newborns sent to prison...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new law on...
- Man paralyzed in shooting appeals sentence...
- A Utah hiker's dream: A trek that may take...
- 17 pictures that will make you appreciate...
- Woman stole mail from 127 people, police say
- Saratoga Springs man caught on video...
- County clerks in Utah poring over new... 62
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 27
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 24
- Utah Rep. Mia Love raises $440K in... 18
- Pornography conference probes perils,... 16
- Second student sues district over... 15
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth... 11
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 9