SALT LAKE CITY — Mayor Ralph Becker announced Thursday that he has appointed a new Salt Lake City prosecutor.
Padma Veeru-Collings, who has worked in the city prosecutor's office for 13 years, will now take the post, overseeing the 16 attorneys within the office.
The position opened up after then-city prosecutor Sim Gill was elected as Salt Lake County district attorney.
"Padma Veeru-Collings is an extraordinarily well qualified and experienced attorney who has proven herself in years of service to the residents of Salt Lake City," Becker said in a statement.
"We are lucky to have her in this important leadership position in our prosecutor's office, and look forward to continued excellence."
Veeru-Collings worked specifically on cases of domestic violence and stalking for the past 10 years. She chairs the Utah Domestic Violence Resource Center and has conducted training sessions on domestic violence-related issues for volunteers, prosecutors and law enforcement officers.
She received her law degree from Brigham Young University's J. Reuben Clark Law School and also holds a master's degree in public administration.
Veeru-Collings was chosen from among 18 candidates by a six-person selection committee made up of city personnel, a justice court judge, a member of the Utah State Bar Association and a member of the public.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12