SALT LAKE CITY — Mayor Ralph Becker announced Thursday that he has appointed a new Salt Lake City prosecutor.
Padma Veeru-Collings, who has worked in the city prosecutor's office for 13 years, will now take the post, overseeing the 16 attorneys within the office.
The position opened up after then-city prosecutor Sim Gill was elected as Salt Lake County district attorney.
"Padma Veeru-Collings is an extraordinarily well qualified and experienced attorney who has proven herself in years of service to the residents of Salt Lake City," Becker said in a statement.
"We are lucky to have her in this important leadership position in our prosecutor's office, and look forward to continued excellence."
Veeru-Collings worked specifically on cases of domestic violence and stalking for the past 10 years. She chairs the Utah Domestic Violence Resource Center and has conducted training sessions on domestic violence-related issues for volunteers, prosecutors and law enforcement officers.
She received her law degree from Brigham Young University's J. Reuben Clark Law School and also holds a master's degree in public administration.
Veeru-Collings was chosen from among 18 candidates by a six-person selection committee made up of city personnel, a justice court judge, a member of the Utah State Bar Association and a member of the public.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23