Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
Paul Cardall's new heart brought new life.
Now, his album "New Life" has reached the top of the Billboard New Age Albums chart.
“I never dreamed of having a No.1 recording until now,” Cardall said in a news release. “I’m truly humbled and honored to share a prestigious chart with world-renowned artists Yanni, Enya, Jim Brickman and others.”
Cardall's album edged out Yanni's "Truth of Touch" and Enya's "The Very Best of Enya" for the top spot.
"New Life" is the musician's first album since he received a heart transplant and the fifth to earn a spot on the Billboard chart. The album was completed in September 2010.
"New Life" encompasses a variety of emotions about healing and internalizing self-identity, and about what the musician went through, evidenced by song titles such as "Letting Go," "Restless Hope" and "Gratitude."
Cardall says that anytime people go through a difficult time or challenge, they should celebrate it. Although his health problems brought hard times in his life, the musician says he would not trade those experiences for anything.
Cardall, who had congenital heart disease his whole life, considers himself blessed.
"I don't know why God is so good to us, but for some reason he continues to spoil our family," he said.
Cardall says his listening audience is about 50 percent Mormon, with the other half discovering his music on their own. One day a check arrived in the mail indicating a soap opera in Korea was using one of his songs for the show, which made him wonder how his music had been found.
Cardall says he would like to continue releasing albums if there is support from listeners. But he plans to keep writing music forever.
"What God has done for me, I will keep writing music that will let me praise him as long as he will let me," he said.
"New Life" is produced by Shadow Mountain Records.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Walmart, Kmart 'Layaway Angels' spreading...
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- Comedies grab attention after announcement of...
- Utahn on 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water' heads to...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt Romney...
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be... 19
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt... 11
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- Pope Francis wins out over Edward... 8
- Lost recording of an interview with... 8
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative... 6
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition... 6