Dixie State College
ST. GEORGE — Dixie State College will break ground on its new Jeffrey R. Holland Centennial Commons Building Monday, March 21.
When completed, the new building will be the home of Dixie State's library and English Department.
The 11 a.m. event is planned on the construction site at the south end of the Encampment Mall on campus. The event is free and open to the public.
Jacobsen Construction has already begun preliminary work on the new building site, located south of the Gardner Student Center. Construction is scheduled to be completed in June 2012.
The 170,000 square foot, five-story building is expected to cost $48 million and is the keystone of Dixie’s overall campus master plan to accommodate growth, according to a college press release. In addition to state funding, the college received a $10 million anonymous donation for the construction of the building in 2008. The college says that is the largest private donation it has ever received.
"The Holland Centennial Commons Building is going to have a huge impact on our campus, because this building will provide the best possible opportunity for our students to get an education," Dixie State President Stephen D. Nadauld said. "This building will give our students the kind of student support services they need, but more importantly, it will be a state-of-the-art digital learning center and library that will signal that Dixie has the kind of four-year quality education that any young person would be pleased to ascribe to."
The building’s namesake, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, is a 1961 Dixie College graduate and a member of the Quorum of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Because of construction road closures, visitor parking for the groundbreaking event will be available in the Burns Arena north parking lot just off of 700 East and 300 South, or at the Cooper Diamonds lot on 800 East and 400 South.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14