Member of Governor Gary Herbert's office arrested in child sex abuse case
Davis County Jail
BOUNTIFUL — An analyst in Gov. Gary Herbert's Office of Planning and Budget has been arrested for investigation of multiple counts of child sex abuse.
Stephen J. Coleman, 40, a budget and policy analyst for the governor's office, was arrested and booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of 10 counts of object rape of child, 10 counts of sodomy of a child and 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child.
Coleman is accused of sexually abusing two female relatives, both under the age of 12, for several years, said Bountiful Police Lt. Sol Oberg. He was arrested Monday about 4 p.m. at his office at the Utah Capitol.
"We did not treat him differently. He was booked into jail like we would everybody else," Oberg said.
Oberg said when officers arrived, the governor's office was cooperative and Coleman was taken into custody without incident.
The governor's office released a brief statement Tuesday regarding the arrest.
"Stephen Coleman's arrest is not job-related and he is on personal leave. We will support and cooperate with authorities as they conduct their legal investigation."
Coleman reported to the state's budget director and not to Herbert personally.
Police were notified of the allegations at 11:30 a.m. Monday after receiving a call from the Division of Child and Family Services. DCFS became involved after receiving a call from a concerned third party who knows the family, Oberg said.
The investigation was still ongoing Tuesday, but there was no immediate evidence that additional victims were involved.
Coleman, originally from England, has been on the governor's staff since 2009.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake approach...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22