Member of Governor Gary Herbert's office arrested in child sex abuse case
Davis County Jail
BOUNTIFUL — An analyst in Gov. Gary Herbert's Office of Planning and Budget has been arrested for investigation of multiple counts of child sex abuse.
Stephen J. Coleman, 40, a budget and policy analyst for the governor's office, was arrested and booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of 10 counts of object rape of child, 10 counts of sodomy of a child and 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child.
Coleman is accused of sexually abusing two female relatives, both under the age of 12, for several years, said Bountiful Police Lt. Sol Oberg. He was arrested Monday about 4 p.m. at his office at the Utah Capitol.
"We did not treat him differently. He was booked into jail like we would everybody else," Oberg said.
Oberg said when officers arrived, the governor's office was cooperative and Coleman was taken into custody without incident.
The governor's office released a brief statement Tuesday regarding the arrest.
"Stephen Coleman's arrest is not job-related and he is on personal leave. We will support and cooperate with authorities as they conduct their legal investigation."
Coleman reported to the state's budget director and not to Herbert personally.
Police were notified of the allegations at 11:30 a.m. Monday after receiving a call from the Division of Child and Family Services. DCFS became involved after receiving a call from a concerned third party who knows the family, Oberg said.
The investigation was still ongoing Tuesday, but there was no immediate evidence that additional victims were involved.
Coleman, originally from England, has been on the governor's staff since 2009.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark...
- 20 years later, parents of missing Spanish...
- Midvale teen ran over mom with car after...
- Audit reveals flawed projections on Utah's...
- Humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari hopeful for...
- Promise ring, pregnancy talk shows...
- Provo police offering reward for information...
- Testimony focuses on relationship between...
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark... 96
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 39
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 23
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 19
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 13
- Audit reveals flawed projections on... 12
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake... 10