Deseret News archives
Are you ready for some football? Utah and the Pac-12 are ramping up preparations. The Utes open spring ball on Tuesday, while their new league is busy trying to improve officiating. Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times has confirmed that Mike Pereira, who is the Pac-12's interim coordinator of football officiating, will hire 16 new officials to replace 11 who have been dismissed as part of the league's initiative to improve things. The newcomers will come from a pool including the Mountain West Conference.
— A Huntsville, Ala., sports radio host says former Utah coach Urban Meyer was the whistleblower in the controversy surrounding quarterback Cam Newton at Auburn.
— California prep star Kyle Murphy, a 6-foot-7-inch, 275-pound left tackle from San Clemente who will be a senior next fall, has received scholarship offers from nine Pac-12 schools including Utah. New offensive coordinator Norm Chow and the Utes have also reportedly made an offer to teammate Travis Wilson, a 6-foot-6-inch, 215-pound quarterback. Three other Pac-12 teams are also in the mix.
— Utah alumnus Eric Weddle wants to stay with the San Diego Chargers but is willing to leave, according to the "San Diego Union Tribune."
— And finally, Danny O'Neil of the "Seattle Times" notes that the Seahawks met with ex-Ute Zane Taylor at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27