Deseret News archives
Are you ready for some football? Utah and the Pac-12 are ramping up preparations. The Utes open spring ball on Tuesday, while their new league is busy trying to improve officiating. Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times has confirmed that Mike Pereira, who is the Pac-12's interim coordinator of football officiating, will hire 16 new officials to replace 11 who have been dismissed as part of the league's initiative to improve things. The newcomers will come from a pool including the Mountain West Conference.
— A Huntsville, Ala., sports radio host says former Utah coach Urban Meyer was the whistleblower in the controversy surrounding quarterback Cam Newton at Auburn.
— California prep star Kyle Murphy, a 6-foot-7-inch, 275-pound left tackle from San Clemente who will be a senior next fall, has received scholarship offers from nine Pac-12 schools including Utah. New offensive coordinator Norm Chow and the Utes have also reportedly made an offer to teammate Travis Wilson, a 6-foot-6-inch, 215-pound quarterback. Three other Pac-12 teams are also in the mix.
— Utah alumnus Eric Weddle wants to stay with the San Diego Chargers but is willing to leave, according to the "San Diego Union Tribune."
— And finally, Danny O'Neil of the "Seattle Times" notes that the Seahawks met with ex-Ute Zane Taylor at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 23
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22